MP3 players forum: What are your recommendations for an MP3 player?

by: hsgtrlnyy July 5, 2014 5:57 PM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Resolved question

What are your recommendations for an MP3 player?

by hsgtrlnyy - 7/5/14 5:57 PM

I don't use the player for music - I download 8-10 podcasts every morning and listen to them during the day. Mp3 players, I find, last about a year, so during the last 10 years that I have been doing this, I have experienced about 10 different players, and the only one I really liked was the first one, made by CnMemory, and no longer available.

I returned a Sansa clip recently because it can't play a list of podcasts - it plays one, then the next one has to be manually selected.

I don't like the in-ear earbuds - they give me sore ears, so I wear a light-weight, over-the-head headphone, but that gives much less audio coupling to the eardrum, so it has to be louder. There is European legislation that limits the output of MP3 players to a level that makes them almost impossible to hear with a headphone unless you are in a very quiet environment, but if I am in the car, or on my bicycle and a car goes past, or in the kitchen with the oven hob blower on, or even with the microwave on, I can't hear it at the normal output level, so I need a player that has some sort of workaround that I will not have to implement each time I switch it on. The Sansa Clip was good in that respect, because during setup, you could tell it you were in America (where European legislation doesn't count)

I currently have an RCA M6504. If you only play music, you probably won't want to fast-forward much, but most of these MP3 players time out far too quickly, so if the phone rings or I want to talk to the checkout person in a supermarket, I usually take the headphones off and allow it to play, so it won't time out, and I won't have to jump through the hoops of turning it on again, waiting while it boots (which takes about 12 seconds on this one), then get it going again and resetting the volume to be audible. As it has played a while, I then have to rewind it. On this RCA, if I rewind, when I release the rewind button, it jumps forward to the next track (an annoying software bug), so the only way of getting back to where I was is to go back to the beginning of the track and fast forward - but there's a problem there too. Fast forward goes at about 10x normal speed, so pressing in the fast-forward for a full minute moves you forward by only 10 minutes - but a podcast can be an hour long, so if I lost my place at 50 minutes in, I have to hold fast-forward for 5 minutes. Not acceptable! I have had some that go at 10x speed for a few second, then accelerate - but there's no way of knowing these details before the purchase of a player - then I'm stuck with it for a year till it fails - usually because of the audio socket.

These are the functions I would ideally like to have :

* When switching on, comes up so quickly that if it times out quickly, it isn't a problem. It remembers its place, and starts playing automatically, or with a single key-press.
* Can be stopped and started (that's normal. That, at least, has worked on all of them)
* Timeout can be set up to 10 minutes, so it can be stopped, and will not switch itself off for much longer than usually possible.
* If fast-rewind is held, it will rewind to the beginning of a track, and will continue to rewind into the previous track.
* I like to have a small display on it, but not necessary to play video.
* 2GB is enough
* Will play a list of podcasts one after the other without intervention.
* Loud enough to hear.

Is that too much to ask?

Is there any software available to replace the buggy software on my RCA?

If you read down to here, thanks for staying with me.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close

You are requesting a clarification of the question: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Submit Clarification Request Preview Cancel

Close

You are posting an answer to the question: Post Subject

Submit Answer Preview Cancel

Close
close

Click here to be notified via e-mail when someone submits an answer.

Would you like to resolve this question? close

Based on your response, it looks like this question has been answered.

Sorry, there was a problem resolving this question. Please try again.

Resolve Leave unresolved