Sub $400 (or $500) HD cam recommendations for martial arts
by chriscorreia - 5/25/12 10:44 AM
Hi, folks. I'd like some HD camcorder recommendations in cameras under $400 (preferably; I can go a bit higher in price). I will use the camera most heavily to shoot video in my martial arts classes,and some at tournaments and demonstrations off site.
1. It will be mostly hand held (no tripod use). So, maybe good image stabilization.
2. Obviously, some action will be fast, whatever those needs mean.
3. Videographers (me/instructors) will sometimes be shooting while moving/walking around. Again, not sure what that means for needs.
4. I'll be zooming to get in and out on action and faces.
5. Lighting is not great, but OK; overhead florescent tubes.
6. Battery life! (or affordable second batteries). The Canon Vixia models seemed good, but get horrible battery life reviews.
7. I prefer flash memory, and just external SD cards are fine with me; I don't see the need for internal memory, but that would be OK. Memory format might be the lowest priority compared to other factors, though.
8. I like the notion of standard video formats (e.g. MP4), but as long as I can transfer it to get it into my windows laptop for uploading to the web or otherwise editing, I guess anything can be fine.
Thanks for your help!