by: sunshinedeb24 May 26, 2014 3:37 AM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Resolved question

Need help about camera choices/5 cameras to choose from

by sunshinedeb24 - 5/26/14 3:37 AM

HI,

I've just read your reviews and comments, and see that there are lots of thoughtful and in-depth ideas here. After reading them, I think that perhaps you can help me with a decision I'm trying to make.

I'm in the middle of trying to decide which to get: D3200, D3300, D3100, d5100 or d5200.

I can't afford to spend more than those, and I'm newer to dslrs, and here's what I am looking for:

I don't take family photos, I do mostly nature and landscape.

I love photography and am very serious about how much fun it is. I want more than just pictures, I want to learn how to take photos that make me go wow.

I like taking bird photos, and would like to be able to see detail when I zoom in (feathers, etc)

I like the size of the D3200 in my hand, weight and dimensions-wise.

I have added two lenses to my repertoire to get more of what I'm looking for: the 55 to 300 vr lens which I love for the ability to get those birds! and the 35 mm f1.8.

I have seen the results of the d3200 and would like more detail on my computer at the end of the day, and will I get more out of one of the other four than the d3200? Or do I just need to keep working on learning more about aperture, shutter speed, etc.? I am learning more each day with my reading and experimenting, but would like to have a good solid base out of the 5 cameras to start out with.

The d3200 has good colors, seems to be natural.

I've read that the d3300 has better picture quality.

I've read that the d5200 has the same sensor as the d7000 (the Exposure Metering Sensor, 2,016-pixel RGB sensor, 420-pixel RGB) and am thinking that it therefore has more potential than the d3200 as far as detail and sharpness go. Does the more-pixel sensor really make a difference or not really? Does it make for more detail and clarity ?

In descending order, how do they compare in real-life usage in terms of better picture quality/clarity/details?

The flip-out screen and bigger view-finder are not an issue for me, I'm good with any of them. I have a bridge camera with a flip-out screen and find it's not something I've used more than once or twice. A nice feature, but not a deciding factor.

I realize that much of the aspects of a camera are the skills of the photographer, but even with the little I've learned from using my first dslr so far, I'm seeing that each camera has it's own strengths and limitations. At the end of the day what matters to me are clear, detailed photos because I want to feel satisfaction in my work.
I am passionate about it and see that you all are, as well, and that's why I figured I'd throw it out at you.

I realize I have a lot of questions, and thanks in advance for your time. I'm tired of going around with myself in circles on this, I just want to make a choice and get on with taking the pictures!

Thank you for your help!

Debbie happy

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close

You are requesting a clarification of the question: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Submit Clarification Request Preview Cancel

Close

You are posting an answer to the question: Post Subject

Submit Answer Preview Cancel

Close
close

Click here to be notified via e-mail when someone submits an answer.

Would you like to resolve this question? close

Based on your response, it looks like this question has been answered.

Sorry, there was a problem resolving this question. Please try again.

Resolve Leave unresolved