MBP 17 Early 2011, Battery Fan problem after liquid spill
by speedbump21 - 12/6/12 1:46 AM
I spilled a small amount of liquid on my Macbook Pro 17" 2011 Early edition. I flipped it over as soon as possible and turned it off by constantly pressing on on/off button.
The liquid spill was on the left side where the MagSafe and I/O board is. Opened the panel at the bottom, and left it on sideways overnight. Also used a hair dryer fan to remove any moist left the next morning.
Then turned it on but nothing, it was dead. I took it to Apple Store and they told me there's corrosion and they told me they can fix it for flat $1,240. I can not afford that right now, so I picked it up. Left the laptop sat like that for 3 more days and trying to figure out what to do in the mean time. I did not try to turn it on nor plugged. I ordered iFixit tools and was planning to clean the corrosion whatnot myself, as if I knew anything. But did not do it yet.
Last night I eventually wanted to try again, and to my delight it turned on. It booted up, loaded the system and brought up all the apps where I left off. I am really happy.
Unfortunately it has become very clear that there's still some damage. Firstly it says there's no battery, although battery connection and the battery was not wet at all. And the fans works at full speed as soon as I turn the laptop on.
What would you suggest?
Thanks for any help.