by: spiridonios June 17, 2013 1:22 PM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Resolved question

new pc bult advice?

by spiridonios - 6/17/13 1:22 PM

hello cnet forum,
I' m currently into the process of searching to built a new pc, and due to my personal irrelevance into pc hardware, its advance and compatibilities, I d like and appreciate some help. I' ve been using ubuntu for many years and i really like it ( especially before its last edition with ubuntu unity) but because of the need to work on some programs that run on windows (e.g. photoshop) i m willing to install a dual boot. (i ll give it a try for ubuntu studio with gnome and windows 7 or 8). So, not knowing much about pc hardware, i walked into a major pc store, told them about my budget (around 500E) and asked them about my options. My idea is to set a nice base, meaning buying as good basic hardware (motherboard, cpu, ram, harddisk) as i can afford. I already posses a case, and some power suppliers that i think will do their job decently.. having read in some forums i asked for intel cpu, because of their supposedly better stability. And so the packet came out like this: cpu intel core i5 3570, ram crucial ddr3 8gb (2x4) kit 1600 mhz ballis, motherboard Gigabyte GA-B75-D3V, SSD Samsung 120gb sata III 840. of course some of the contents are suggested because of the shops deal with certain brands. like they didn't have any asus motherboards , which i m advised from friends to choose instead of gigabyte in terms of reliability. Also i m thinking if would be a better idea to buy the intel 3570k which has the unlocked overclocking feature, so to be able to upgrade the cpu speed in the future if i need. And another suggestion from a friend that i had was to buy as much ram as i can from the beginning because of the up going prices when they begin to become old..
so this is the point that i' m at the time, looking forward to learn what to buy, so i can begin to build my web page. The other uses of my pc are going to be picture editing (photoshop, gimp, 180x360 panorama program..), music recording and editing, web browsing, web page developing, and i want to be able occasionally to play some games and to edit some videos.
any advice and recommendation on hardware purchase are really, really welcome and being looked forward
regards,
Spiros

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close

You are requesting a clarification of the question: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Submit Clarification Request Preview Cancel

Close

You are posting an answer to the question: Post Subject

Submit Answer Preview Cancel

Close
close

Click here to be notified via e-mail when someone submits an answer.

Would you like to resolve this question? close

Based on your response, it looks like this question has been answered.

Sorry, there was a problem resolving this question. Please try again.

Resolve Leave unresolved