PC hardware forum: Hopeless... (lots of text, beware)

by: Ulrakki May 6, 2013 1:03 AM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Resolved question

Hopeless... (lots of text, beware)

by Ulrakki - 5/6/13 1:03 AM

It's a long, long story...
My hard drive was nearly full, and the computer wouldn't boot into Windows anymore.
Had a bunch of problems, MFT corruptions, BSODs, disk read errors...
Nothing worked. Then... in February or so, my sister gave me her old computer to use.
My brother removed all the stuff and reformatted it, and then whilst I was sleeping he put my HDD in sister's computer. The computer was now with two HDDs, and working again. (Mine is a MAXTOR and hers a Samsung)
About two days later I was prompted with a BSOD, about software. Looking up on Google (with an old machine) I find a solution but it would mean all my program settings would be deleted, or changed. Didn't care. So I did what was written on the article. Don't remember what happened next, but I know for sure that some programs wouldn't work, or had issues, including the antivirus (avast!), which would give me an error every hour or so.
There wasn't a way to reinstall, it failed. So I just installed Avira. Stayed with it for some time until I noticed the sound was slowing down randomly, and chopping. I updated the audio drivers but it didn't work. Then I tried a number of things, but no luck. I uninstalled Avira (which was also giving me some errors), and the sound kind of improved, but it was still bad.
Whatever...
The Samsung hard drive also kept disappearing, both from Windows and BIOS, so anything stored on it wouldn't be accessible anymore. It would also make the dreaded clicking noise.

Now the most recent stuff... and what is bugging me... this Saturday I was playing some games installed on my sister's hard drive. It was all okay until a clicking noise appeared. The game froze. That happened for a while until a BSOD came, which made me turn off the computer. I immediately thought the HDD was horrible and untrusted, or that a cable was loose.
The computer kept giving me a BSOD.
Left it alone for some time.
Midnight comes, I try starting up the computer, and the click strikes again. But this time with my HDD.
The BSOD was either there, or NTLDR failure, or the drive simply wouldn't be recognised.
It was probably dead, and there was nothing I could do to help.
I got to bed.
Waking up, mum says my computer is faster than ever.
That was strange, since it was very slow before. But who cares, the hard drive wasn't dead after all. Or so I thought.
Turns out my brother had formatted the Samsung drive (sister's) without telling me, or asking for permission.
Everything that I had was lost, or at least missing.
I then took a peek and Windows said my drive had:
232 GBs of 232 GBs total.
I am now hopeless. I am pretty sure I lost everything, but perhaps there is a small chance of recovering my data. Never made any backups, since there was no way to. I don't have any external drives with me, and the computers we have available have very small capacity.
It was over 200 GB of data. Everything was important to me. I had thousands and thousands of folders. It would take a long time to search and copy the files.
My mum who knows nothing about computers, told me it might be empty because it's borked. But she also doesn't believe that my stuff is missing.
I can access it fine without any errors. I don't want to put anything there, though, in fears of (hidden) data getting overwritten. All my fault, I'm sure.
Is there a way to recover? sad

Apologies for the long text but I really had to tell someone and sorry for my English, especially the repetitive words. I am also really sad
so it's hard for me to express myself clearly.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close

You are requesting a clarification of the question: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Submit Clarification Request Preview Cancel

Close

You are posting an answer to the question: Post Subject

Submit Answer Preview Cancel

Close
close

Click here to be notified via e-mail when someone submits an answer.

Would you like to resolve this question? close

Based on your response, it looks like this question has been answered.

Sorry, there was a problem resolving this question. Please try again.

Resolve Leave unresolved