Seagate FreeAgent External Hard Drive will not recognize USB

by Tommie R Anderson - 1/30/09 7:53 PM

I have Seagate Free Agent External Hard Drive, USB eSATA P/N 1004535 1b, Pin 9NL-6A6-500, S/N 5QG0TFCP, Capacity 476938 mb, 500,105,216,000 bytes, Driver Version 5.1.2535.0, , file version 5-1.2600.5512.

This is what the computer is telling me about the External Hard Drive:

"Connecting thru WAN Miniport (PPPOG).

Error 815: The broadband network connection cannot be established on your computer because the remote server is not responding. This could be caused by an invalid value for the 'service name' field for this connection. Please contact your internet service provider and inquire about the correct value for this field and update it in the connection properties.

If you continue to receive error messages, you can enable logging for analysis.

Logging options can also be accessed by clicking the remote access preferences menu item under the advanced menu of the network connection folder."

I have contacted my internet service, AT&T Internet service, provider and they simply had me click on the "off line" for the connection, putting the service back on line temporally. They told me that I have to contact the computer manufacturing agent to get this straightened out. I do not know who the manufacturer of my computer is. They told me that there is nothing else they can do.

The external hard drive is now off line and the USB connection for this device states that the USB is not recognized. Therefore, it is not able to start up. Since it will not start, I can do nothing with seagate's software. This problem is with my Windows Vista machine only. The external hard drive works fine with my Windows XP Pro machine.

I have written to Seagate several times but they are not answering my emails. So I thought I would turn to CNET to try and get some help. Can You help?????