YOUR recommendation on which CPU, Motherboard, etc to get
by devang - 8/21/06 3:41 PM
Its time for a computer upgrade and I'm planning to sell my existing computer with the case and all the components (minus the hard drives). Plus, it seems like CPUs are on the cheap right now because of the new Intel Core Duo. I'm really confused as to what to get.
Tell me whether I need:
- A new motherboard
- A new CPU
- A new graphics card
- A new case
- A new sound card
- A new fan
- Some new RAM
Which ones should I get? Is it better to get it as a package or to self-assemble?
The type of user I am:
- Power user (lots of multi-tasking... about 20 windows open at once)
- Lots of Microsoft Excel
- Occasional Video Editing, Web design and Photoshop
- NOT a gamer at all (video card not super important) but I watch lots of movies, DVDs on my computer
- Listen to a fair amount of music (decent audio card)
- Heavy DVD Burning
- Test out a lot of programs (from download.com, etc)
What I have now is:
- CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4A, 2400 MHz (4.5 x 533)
- Motherboard: ECS P4VXASD2+ (4 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR, 2 SDR DIMM, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio)
- Motherboard Chipset: VIA VT8753A Apollo P4X333
- System Memory: 512 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
- Video Adapter: ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON (32 MB)
- 3D Accelerator: ATI Rage 6
- Audio Adapter: VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller
Time Horizon: 4 Years
Budget: ~$500 (but I'm flexible)
AMD is not really my preference because compatibility is really important for me.
THANKS A MILLION. I really appreciate your help!