Ram Questions (I'm Not Stupid... Really!)
by jodydfw - 1/29/06 9:51 AM
I've been out of the upgrade business for a while now (the Wife going back to school, Son getting braces, etc..), and I want to upgrade and max outt he ram in both mine & my wifes computers. So here's the questions I have:
1) DDR & DDR2 - What's the difference?
2) Single Sided & Double Sided ram - Any difference?
3) What would be better to use (for games like FEAR,
Doom3, HL2, etc):
3gb of PC3200 DDR333 or 2gb PC3200 DDR400?
4) Can you run (with no problems) 533 mhz ram in a
board that has a max of 400 mhz? i.e Can I replace
a stick of DDR PC3200 333mhz with DDR2 PC3200
533mhz with no problem? (The reason I ask this is
I'm looking ahead a little because I may be able
to upgrade to a new board this year and I can use
the DDR2 533mhz instead of going through the ram
BS process again! And also I can pick-up 2 1gb DDR2
533mhz sticks for $119 right now)
The boards being used are both MSI w/AMD 64:
1) K8N Neo (3gb of PC3200 DDR333 or 2gb PC3200 DDR400)
2) K8T Neo (2gb of PC3200 DDR333 or 1gb PC3200 DDR400)
I've got more questions but I don't look like a total idiot. But if any one can clue me in ar at least point me to a website or something where I can find that info I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any help.