Networking & wireless forum: IPhone LAN Gaming Over Windows VPN? (UDP Broadcasting)

by: netgearcomputer February 26, 2014 6:39 AM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Resolved question

IPhone LAN Gaming Over Windows VPN? (UDP Broadcasting)

by netgearcomputer - 2/26/14 6:39 AM

I'm trying to play an iPhone game that uses WiFi to create local games for other iPhones to join. The way it works is one player starts a game and becomes the host over WiFi and it gets broadcasted to other players on the network to see the game and join. If the host leaves the game the current game gets shutdown and all clients get sent to the lobby, but clients can connect and disconnect how they want.

My problem is that I believe the UDP packets are not being broadcasted to other iPhones over the VPN network I'm using to play with my friend who lives far from me. When connected to the Windows VPN server he has running on his laptop, I am able to ping every device on his network, including my iPhone from his laptop. I just do not see the LAN lobby game, and neither can he see mine. I believe this has something to do with the subnet. From what I've read, VPN does not put me on the same subnet as him where the UDP packets are being broadcasted, or maybe they're even being dropped completely in the VPN. The strange thing is, when I am physically on his network and connect through VPN, I have no Internet access and he cannot see my game, but I can see his and connect fine.

I've used WireShark to track down the packets being sent and received, and the one thing I noticed is that the UDP packets are almost always being sent/received on different ports. I thought they would be hard coded into the game of which ports the packets should be sent/received from but the origin ports usually range 50000-59000 and the receiving ports range from 9000-9999, and are usually different with every LAN game.

The problem I've run into is I want to keep this simple on the iPhone side so that non-techy players can join in on play over VPN without having to hack around with external programs or anything. My goal is to setup a dedicated VPN server for me and my friends to play together on daily. I don't care how complicated it has to be on the VPN server side to get it working, but I want it simple on the iPhone side and be as simple as plugging the correct VPN server details into the built-in iPhone VPN tab.

I want to stay away from Hamachi, Tunngle, etc because I don't believe they're ideal for iPhones as far as the built-in VPN functionality goes. I've been suggested using a network tap to get UDP broadcasting to all clients on the server but before I spend any money I want to conclude that this in fact is my best bet. I've also read about bridging. I have no idea what my next step is to get this working. I have no problem buying equipment to get this working, just please point me in the right direction.

To sum it all up in one question: How do I get UDP broadcasting on a Windows VPN to work iPhone-to-iPhone?

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close

You are requesting a clarification of the question: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Submit Clarification Request Preview Cancel

Close

You are posting an answer to the question: Post Subject

Submit Answer Preview Cancel

Close
close

Click here to be notified via e-mail when someone submits an answer.

Would you like to resolve this question? close

Based on your response, it looks like this question has been answered.

Sorry, there was a problem resolving this question. Please try again.

Resolve Leave unresolved