Networking & wireless forum: Multiple Devices at Home - Intermittent Internet Access

by: pzoorek June 27, 2013 11:42 AM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Resolved question

Multiple Devices at Home - Intermittent Internet Access

by pzoorek - 6/27/13 11:42 AM

Hi,
I have been having problems with my Internet for over a year and a half now. Have no idea what to do. Maybe some of you would be able to help me. Thanks in advance for any guides, ideas, suggestions you may have.

Please accept my apology for the length of the post. I just want to make sure I have written everything I think is needed to understand the problem.

Long time ago I took ADSL Internet from UK TalkTalk. That time I had two iPhones, iMac and Windows7 based laptop connected wirelessly to the router that was provided by TalkTalk. I should say that besides some minor problems I could use it on fairly high level. About a two years ago I moved to a different part of town taking the Internet with me. It was a brand new building so they had to lay new cables. A TalkTalk engineer came to my new home and installed everything. He gave me a new router that was identical to the one I was using in my old apartment. Everything seemed to be fine for 4 to 5 months. Then gradually I started having more and more problems with Internet connections.

There were two different types of the problem. One was that I cannot see the router at all (I mean that I could not see my SSID listed between the others). The other type was that I could see my network but was getting "Connection Timed Out" message when trying to connect to it. On the beginning I was getting either of these problems once per two weeks but over time they started to get more frequent eventually getting to the stage where I was able to use Internet for 2 to 3 hours a day. I had no problems with the speed at all. It was just the connection problem no matter where I was in the house and what device I was using.

Coincidently a TalkTalk selling team called me to offer a new Fibre Broadband. I explained them my problem but they said that it will disappear when I take their offer so I took it. They installed everything and I was so happy as not only it was working all the time but with 4 times the speed. Until 2 to 3 weeks later when the first lost of connections occurred. Then it started to be more frequent increasing to once a day. They were exactly the same problem types as before. I phoned TalkTalk and the engineer visited me to solve the problem. Unfortunately the Internet was working perfectly that time so he could not replicate it so no solution was even suggested. Instead he replaced the router (for identical one).

Again the situation repeated. It was 2 to 3 weeks before the problem started appearing and getting more frequent. Again I phoned TalkTalk, engineer came, Internet was there during his visit, he changed the router and after 2 to 3 week problem occurred. TalkTalk stated that there is not even slightest problem on their side so I was under impression that the problem is caused by router. As I am an Apple fan I bought a Time Capsule, which is a router and HDD in one. Again I was happy for about a month before the problem started.

Over a time I accumulated more devices that require wireless Internet access: 3 iPhones, iMac, MacBook Pro, Windows7 based laptop, Windows Vista based laptop, Galaxy Pad2, Samsung TV, HP Printer, Satellite TV tuner box. They all require Internet access at different times (apart from the printer that is connected all the time). If the problem occurs then none of these devices can access (or discover) the network. Apple give me a limit of 128 devices, TalkTalk gives limit of 24 devices connected at the same time.

The Internet changed from ADSL to Fibre Optic, routers were replaced several times, devices changed. The only thing unchanged is the place of the router and the fact that it is placed next to the cordless phone.

There is no pattern I can figure out. Distance between devices and router differs from 1m visible to 10 metres invisible. Times of the day of occurrences differs.

I can always connect via wire, no matter whether I can connect wirelessly or cannot.

Of course I tried to reset the router by pressing "Reset" button on the back of the device.

Again, I am sorry for the length of this. Any even slightest help is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close

You are requesting a clarification of the question: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Submit Clarification Request Preview Cancel

Close

You are posting an answer to the question: Post Subject

Submit Answer Preview Cancel

Close
close

Click here to be notified via e-mail when someone submits an answer.

Would you like to resolve this question? close

Based on your response, it looks like this question has been answered.

Sorry, there was a problem resolving this question. Please try again.

Resolve Leave unresolved