Resolved question

Fast internet via Ethernet, downloads stalling

by Doomofman - 12/12/12 7:48 PM

Ok, so I have 50 meg broadband in my house, I currently have my laptop wired up to the modem via ethernet as my wifi adapter is rubbish but thats for another day. So the internet pretty much operates as it should, unless I try downloading something at full speed (5mbps there or there abouts) when I'm downloading from somewhere that allows me to hit top speed, the download stalls part way through. Not at the same point each time though.

For instance I only noticed the problem today when trying to download a trailer in quicktime. It would load quickly part when then stop completely. Then I remembered, the same thing happens when I run a speed test on speedtest.net. The test says the speed is full but it still takes ages to download the file when it should take like 2 seconds.

It doesn't affect lower speed downloads, they always finish fine.

Ethernet adapter is a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller L8168 with the latest driver. I'm running Windows 7 64bit. I have another computer wired up to the router and it works perfectly so the problem isn't with the router.

I have to say I'm a bit stumped on this, networking isn't my strong point.

Anyone able to point in the right direction to try figure out the problem?

Thanks
E