Unsolved Mystery: Spotty Wifi Defies Explanation
by stoudtb - 4/29/12 6:17 PM
In the past, our home wireless network (from Verizon) worked
perfectly. Now, it doesn't - see below for the facts on this unsolved
* (possibly) relevant info: Verizon FiOS router (Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. E using WEP security). Computers connected to network all running Win7: (1) HP Pavilion desktop p6-2100; (2) Compaq laptop - Presario CQ62; (3) Compaq SR2020nx desktop.
* wireless connection stops working randomly on our main
desktop perhaps 2-3x/hour; on my laptop perhaps once/every hour; does
NOT seem to be a problem on (3) / desktop #2, which connects via a wireless
* problems started about the time we changed out our old
desktop (also HP) to a new one (also HP - (1) above). Both the old & new computers connect/ed to the
network wirelessly (not through a wired connection).
* Verizon provided a new router, so we're guessing it's not that.
* my laptop rarely has problems on other networks outside our home, which I use frequently.
* Verizon walked me through some normal trouble-shooting steps - powering the router on/off; resetting the router; making sure router close enough to all computers; no brick/stone/etc. obstructing/interfering; etc.
ANY help you can provide would be incredibly welcome. This is driving us crazy! THANKS in advance! Bryan