Networking & wireless forum: Router recognized but no internet connection

by: deerme1 February 5, 2010 6:38 AM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Router recognized but no internet connection

by deerme1 - 2/5/10 6:38 AM

Intermittent Problem With through router Wired and Wireless connection, tested with several different routers and computers with several different O.S. all with the same results. Set up encrypted WPA Personal and WPA2, and also set up not encrypted.

1. This is in a small town broadband system. They use Motorolla SB5101 modems exclusively. Their Tec Support is clueless on routers, so no help there. They also have wireless internet. That seems to work with routers with no problems. That system uses Waverider radios, and does not have to be line of sight. The provider will NOT switch these users from their Cable modem system to the wireless. They claim there is no problem with the broadband. A computer hard wired to their broadband system will always work, so I guess their assessment is basically true.

2. These problems exists in SEVERAL houses in the town, not just one. On the other hand, I have installed routers in several other houses with no problems. These users are all on the broadband system.

3. These problem exists when using any one of 4 different routers. Belkin G Model f5d7230-4, Belkin G Fsd9231-4 v2, Linksys G WRT54GL, and a newer Belkin N router. The results is the same with all of them. This problem has been tested with several different laptops, and desktops, with XP, Vista, and WIndows 7, all with the same result.
All of these routers, and computers, work flawlessly on my high speed wireless ISP Canopy system at home (2.5 meg speed). I have a different provider, but my Canopy system has to be direct line of sight. Most of these users do not have line of sight, and the installation cost is $200, so switching providers is not really an option.

4. This problem exists with no encryption, and with encryption WPA Personal or WPA2 . The SSID has been named, so we are hooking up to the correct router. The wire from the modem to the router is in the Internet jack, and not one of the other ports.

5. Again, desktop, or laptop WILL always connect, when wired DIRECTLY to the SB5101 Modem.

6. When a Router is connected with the cat5 cable provided with the router, a laptop WILL be able to see the SSID. The signal is full bars. The internet will NOT be able to be accessed. (some times, see farther below)

7. If a computer is hard wired through the router, the internet will NOT be accessed.(some times,see farther below)

8. I have a Dell 1545 Laptop that I use to confirm problems. It will NOT connect. We have also used an Apple laptop for testing, and it will NOT connect. (when this is happening).

9. In many other installations I have done, the router will finally find the modem, and hook up after a minute or two, and hold the connection. But, In these problem instances, the router may hook up
one day, and run for a few days, and then drop out. When this happens, a computer can be direct wired to the modem, and it will hook up to the internet, but there is no internet through the router, wired or wireless. In case of the one customer, installation was never completed, since the router would never hook up, wired through the router, or wireless.

To try and correct, I unplug the modem and router, for 15 seconds, and start from scratch, letting the modem do it's thing first, and when the first 4 lights are on, plug in the router, and let it go through it's routines, finally I try to connect the laptop. Occasionally, that will work for a day or more, but many times it still stays disconnected from the internet. Repeated try's will NOT work. Occasionally, repairing will cause the computer to connect, but NOT OFTEN, and not for a long period of time. Again, I have tried multiple routers with the same results, and all computers and routers will hook up at my home on my Canopy system.

10. In the process, I have also tried re-setting the routers with the re-set button per the router's manual.

11. The ISP claims there is noting wrong with their system. They finally came out to the one house, and got it going. It stayed connected a week, but cut out, and would not connect after that. Again, it WILL always connect when direct wired to the SB5101, so they decide there is no problem. The ISP speeds are often low, sometimes below 200,000.

12. I don't understand wireless networks all that well. I have been all over the internet trying to find a solution to make the router stay connected. Any help, or resources you may have, would be greatly
appreciated.

13. I have not tried the firmware route, but since all of the routers hook up to my system at home, I figured that would not be the problem? One guy on the internet said that the modem could be the
problem even though a computer will hook up to it direct? Could the
MAC address have something to do with it?

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close