Networking & wireless forum: D-Link DIR-655 router - new installation, slow connection

by: djr1904 February 25, 2008 10:05 PM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

D-Link DIR-655 router - new installation, slow connection

by djr1904 - 2/25/08 10:05 PM

I get around computers pretty well but I'm a wireless networking newbie. And after plenty of research and phone calls to tech support, I'm stumped.

I just bought a new HP Pavilion DV9700T. I also bought the D-Link DIR-655 to connect to my five-year-old custom-built desktop PC. I have cable internet through a Motorola Surfboard modem. So I popped in the CD and ran the setup wizard. Everything seemed to go fine - the wizard detected all my connection, didn't even ask me any questions, and I was good to go. But I noticed right away that my internet connection was significantly slower. Usable, but about 80% slower than normal (I tested it).

So I removed the router from the equation and just hooked up the desktop PC to the cable modem. The internet speed was back to normal.

I reconnected the router and reset it. Updated the firmware. Read the manual, visited online support, and mess with every setting I could think of. Still, the connection was slow. (I should mention at this point that both the desktop PC and Pavilion had similarly slow speeds through the router.)

I confirmed with my cable company that it wasn't a setting on their end that needed adjusting. Then I called D-Link. On the online configuration tool, they had me go under the Setup tab, then to Manual Internet Connection Setup, then entering 4.2.2.2 in the Primary DNS Server box and 4.2.2.3 in the Secondary DNS Server box. (They tried to explain what this meant but I didn't catch it.)

This caused me to lose my internet connection entirely. After a couple more calls to D-Link in which they had me do little else besides cloning my PC's MAC address a couple of times and unplugging/replugging my modem and router, I still had no internet connection. So they told me to return the router for a new one. Then, just for the hell of it, I rebooted and got my internet connection back, although it is still slow.

So what can I do? Is it really defective, or is there something else to adjust? I have read where this router just doesn't work for some people, but I assumed that to mean it didn't work at all. Any advice is great as I would prefer not to send this back if at all possible.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close