Cable internet setup plan
by highlander2000 - 8/2/05 2:59 PM
Hello, I am planning to setup cable internet at my house, and I'm going to share the connection between 2 computers. (One runs Windows XP home, the other is XP Pro)
First, I have a question for anyone who knows - I am planning to setup the cable modem in a room that already has cable tv in it. Can I split the cable signal coming from the wall, and run one cable to my modem and another cable to my TV? Can I use the internet and watch TV in this room at the same time?
Alright, here's my plan:
1. Split cable signal from wall into two signals.
2. Send one signal to TV, other to cable modem.
3. Hook up cable modem to a wireless router (with Wireless access point). ***Any router recommendations?
4. Buy two USB wireless adapters - one for each PC. (Should I install my USB adapters first? Then the router?)
5. Configure the USB adapters to work with router.
6. Securing network.
Also, what do you think: leave the modem running all the time, even when PC's are off?