External Hard Drive Stopped Showing Up In My Computer
by samo231 - 3/20/12 12:10 PM
I've been trying to fix it for over 10 days now, and I tried lots of things but nothing seems to work , so I hope that you can help me.
- Operation System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64-Bit).
- Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth P67 (1 PCI, 3 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394).
- CPU: QuadCore Intel Core i7-2600K, 3500 MHz (35 x 100).
- Memory: 8168 MB (DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM).
- Disk Drive: WDC WD20EARS-00J99B0 (2000 GB, SATA-II).
- GPU: ATI Radeon™ HD 5770
- USB 2.0: 8 Ports.
- USB 3.0: 2 Ports.
My external hard drive stopped showing up in My Computer, but it was working fine before.
1- I think "And I'm NOT Sure" this happened after I Unplugged it without using "Safely Remove Hardware", I'm Totally aware that unplugging it while it's in use could damage it, but when I tried to "Safely Remove It" it told me "Windows can't stop your device Because a program is still using it", and I was in a hurry, so I unplugged it without using "Safely Remove Hardware".
2- Few Days before it stop working, it was getting slower and sometimes it hangs.
- it's Samsung S2 Portable (640GB).
- I think I bought it from about 1-1.5 years ago.
- It's out of warranty.
- I'm Not using it that much, maybe 1-2 hours per day and sometimes I don't use it at all for several days/weeks.
- Content: all my family pictures & videos (NO backup anywhere else), I thought it would be safer here in case any damage happened to my desktop hard drive. but i Guess I was wrong.
- No Physical Damage.
- When I plug it, I hear it spinning and it's light is on.
- I hear a weird intermittent constant "Sound" and it's NOT loud, MAYBE It's a "Clicking" sound, But I'm not sure.
- I checked All USB Ports and it's all working fine with other devices.
- It Doesn't show up in "Disk Management", So solutions related to "Disk Management" Won't work.
- I Cleaned up and removed old USB storage drivers and replugged it, but it didn't work.
- I connected it to another PC, it didn't work there too.
- I tried Different "USB Cable"
- I was always checking it with "BitDefender Total Security 2011" For Viruses or any kind of infections and it was clean.
- I tried to check it for errors, but as it's not recognized I can't check it.
- I was Defragmenting it with "DisKeeper 2011" from time to time.
- I tried to use "Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) v5.1.1" to recover the data, and i used this Guide "How to Create an Image of a Crashed Hard Drive using the UBCD, dd-rescue and P2 eXplorer", and when I reached to "Step 3 - Identifying your Hard Drive" I couldn't Identify it and I couldn't know it "Path", because it wasn't showing up in "Mount Devices" window, because as I said It's not recognized.
1- Is there a way to fix my External Hard Drive and make it work again?
2- Is there a way to make it recognizable so i can recover the data using "DD-Rescue"?
3- Is there any other way to recover the data from my External Hard Drive?
4- I tried to open my External Hard Drive "case" but I couldn't, and I was afraid to go any farther So i Don't damage it. So is there any safe way to open it?