by: Tidenova August 22, 2013 8:13 AM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Resolved question

Computer will not shut down

by Tidenova - 8/22/13 8:13 AM

Hey all.

For the first time ever I had my computer built rather than pre-made. I was not the one who built the computer so I don't really know that much about building. I will break this up into a description of the computer and the problem to make things easier:

The computer:
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H Motherboard
Intel i5 3.10 Ghz processor
GeForce 550Ti video card
ScanDisk 120 GB SSD (mainly just for OS or quick startup programs)
WD 2.0 TB external hard-drive (for main storage)
Roswell 350w max powersupply model number LC-8360BTX (not sure the numbers)
- I was told by the guy that built the computer that in all honesty I could probably use a stronger powersupply, but that's just extra info.

So THE PROBLEM, I formatted the SSD and reinstalled Windows 7 and after that I have generally 3 things happening:
(1) The major issue is that the computer will not shut down or go into sleep mode. When you shutdown it clicks off completely (you can actually here it shutdown) then restarts itself. When it goes into sleep mode (whether you put it in sleep mode or it goes into sleep mode on it's own for a power save move) it restarts. The only way to shut it down at all is do hold the start button down till it shuts off.

(2) Whenever it restarts it does not remember the downloads or updates I have made to it. Example, I plugged in the external hard drive, it found the drivers and set everything up, and I run some programs from the external hard drive (like iTunes) that merely have a shortcut on the desktop. When the computer restarts that link no longer works. Further more the shortcut for the external hard drive no longer works (it has a question mark next to it) and I have to unplug and plug back in the external hard drive just to get it to recognize it again. I bought Rosetta Stone a while back and when it restarts the link to Rosetta Stone says fatal error and I have to re-download it from the website again.

(3) I have 7 USB ports, only 2 are working. Under device manager the only driver that is recognized as being missing (yellow exclamation point) is the SM Bus Controller.

Keep in mind this all could be needing to download the right drivers or BIOS setting setup...and I have no idea how to do any of that. The person that built my computer lives 3 hours away and works all the time, hence not being able to get help from him.

Thanks in advance for any assistance at all.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close

You are requesting a clarification of the question: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Submit Clarification Request Preview Cancel

Close

You are posting an answer to the question: Post Subject

Submit Answer Preview Cancel

Close
close

Click here to be notified via e-mail when someone submits an answer.

Would you like to resolve this question? close

Based on your response, it looks like this question has been answered.

Sorry, there was a problem resolving this question. Please try again.

Resolve Leave unresolved