Desktops forum: need help with pc that wont power up

by: marc404 January 30, 2013 8:54 PM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Resolved question

need help with pc that wont power up

by marc404 - 1/30/13 8:54 PM

Hi all... I have had an issue with my desktop for the last 7-8 months... Its driving me nuts and costing me money... Ive been building pcs for several years and never came across this issue ever... Heres whats happening:

My pc normally works fine... But for some random reason, (sometimes) when i shut the pc down, it will not power up again... (everytime) i shut the pc down and switch off at the mains it will not power back on...

Now.. The first time this happened i checked everything and rushed out and bought a new psu thinking the one installed had died.. On fitting the new psu the pc would not power on... I went through lengthy trouble shooting and could not find a solution... So i took the desktop to my local repair shop they diagnosed it as a dead motherboard...

The motherboard was only a couple of months old so i took the board back to the shop i bought it from looking for a replacement and explained my issue and diagnosis from my loca technician.. Staff in the shop i bought it from plugged it into a test set up and it powered up... Redfaced i left the shop with the board... Plugged it back into my desktop... And it wouldnt power up... I phoned the shop... They said bring the whole desktop in... I brought it in and said they would call me... They called me ten minutes later saying that the pc powered up no problem after i left the shop... Redfaced again but happy happy i went home.. Plugged in and the pc did power up lol...

Few days later i finished working on my project... Shut the pc down.. Switched off at the mains... Got up the next day and it wouldnt power up.... Took it back to the shop for diagnosis... They couldnt power it up... They recased it and it powered up... Then they put everything back into my case... And it powered up... They called me to come and collect it.. I went in and the guys handed me my desktop and it should be ok now... I asked them to pkug it in and show me... They plugged it in and it would not power up hahaha.. Crazy... They came to the conclusion that there was maybe a fault in the psu but i explained that i had already replaced it... But they replaced it anyway... And it worked... I took the desktop home and all was fine... But only fine if i do not switch off at the mains.. Was talking to my project partner about it on the phone one night after the pc not powering up for a couple of days... I said to him.. 'i will try it just now' and guess what.. It powered up...

Ive never experienced anything like this before... Please help me out guys lol

heres the specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA-UD3
Processor: AMD FX 8120 8-core black edition
RAM: 2 sticks of 4GB Corsair DDR3
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD5450
PSU: Powercool Extreme Mod 850W

forgot to mention.. I changed the RAM too as i heard there was issues with ripjaw ram and the cpu. Thought it might have been what was causing the issue... Didnt make a difference.. Except for the increase in performance of course... When the pc does power up i have absolutely no issues at all its very rubust and fast... Any help would be great thanks in advance happy

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close

You are requesting a clarification of the question: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Submit Clarification Request Preview Cancel

Close

You are posting an answer to the question: Post Subject

Submit Answer Preview Cancel

Close
close

Click here to be notified via e-mail when someone submits an answer.

Would you like to resolve this question? close

Based on your response, it looks like this question has been answered.

Sorry, there was a problem resolving this question. Please try again.

Resolve Leave unresolved