Desktops forum: COMPANY REVIEW: iBuyPower

by: Terabytes-n-Towers April 12, 2011 7:56 AM PDT

Like this

1 person likes this thread

Staff pick

COMPANY REVIEW: iBuyPower

by Terabytes-n-Towers - 4/12/11 7:56 AM

A few weeks ago a my brother decided to buy a computer outside of the normal place that he would go through. He did some research around the internet and found a company called iBuyPower. I have never heard of this company before. Come to find out they use refurbished parts and sell the computers at a to high a price.

Here is my story with the company:

Three weeks ago my brother bought a computer from iBuyPower and he did a rapid delivery method. Which meant he would get the computer shipped within 24 hours and have it within a week. When he received the computer he hooked it up and everything by himself and I had to install the Operating System. Everything installed correctly, it was after install that we started having blue screen and crashing problems. Almost immediately after installing the OS, Windows 7, the blue screens started happening. First it crashed on install of the anti-virus I put on. I figured the file was corrupted to I reinstalled a different anti-virus program, it took. The next thing that happened was I was doing the OS updates and the monitor went black, I figured the video drivers were out of date, so I updated them. Then it blue screened, so un-installed the drivers. Then I put Google Chrome on because IE8 was crashing the computer, it was working fine for awhile there.

After about a day of my brother having more crashes and then finally not booting up at all. I came back over to take a look at it and when I turned it on it did one long beep continuously. I did some research on what error codes mean, this one in particular meant CPU failure. I ended up calling the company and going through some troubleshooting. Long story short we ended up sending it back for repair.

After shipping it back, the company itself had the system for about 24 hours before they shipped out again. When my brother received his "newly refurbished" computer, he plugged it in. He had me come over, again, to set up his OS... again. This time everything installed properly, we didn't have any major issues. Except for a USB driver problem that blue screened us and crashed his computer. This was easily corrected by uninstalling the driver. We had no more issues after this....until after I left. He started installing all of his software and games. Then the issues started happening, AGAIN. It crashed a few different times on him. Then he turned it off and went to work. In the morning he went to turn it on and low and behold it was doing the exact same thing it was doing the last time, the continuous long beep with no BIOS or video. Nothing was showing up. I ended coming back over to call the company again, come to find out all they did was disable the temperature sensor. They didn't check the CPU or the motherboard, they didn't put it through any diagnostic what-so-ever.

In talking to the technician, is where I got the best customer service ever...... not really.

Here's how that went:

I called the company on behalf of my brother to do some troubleshooting with them to figure out what was going on. I was connected to a technician and I was explaining to him what was going on. He was telling me to do things that weren't possible to do, like press the restart button and wait for the Logo screen to pop up. I explained to him before he had me go and attempt to do this that I wasn't able to see the logo screen because the computer wasn't booting up. He kept trying to get me to restart the computer and do what he asked me to do. I informed him 3 different times that what he was asking was impossible and then I explained to him that I am a technician and I work on computer for a living. What happened next completely shocked me, he put me on hold and transferred me to someone else, without telling me he was doing so.

I ended up getting transferred to the Customer Service department.

He did this because I said something early on in our conversation that we wanted to find out what the procedure would be to get a refund. While I was talking to the customer service person I gradually started to get angry. I first informed him that I was transferred without my knowledge to someone that wasn't going to be able to help me fix the issue. Then the person I was talking to kept telling me to calm down and to call him back when I have calmed down. Instead of trying to fix the issue or help me fix the issue, he kept telling me to calm down and let the technician help me. I told him that was exactly what I was doing until he transferred me to Customer service. By the end of my conversation with them, I was so livid with the company. I asked to talk to a supervisor and come to find out the guy I was talking to was also the acting supervisor for the day. Then to top it off instead of trying to calm me down and help me fix the problem, he stuck me on hold. Just hung up on me basically, that told me that he didn't and wasn't going to do anything to make this any better. For me the customer or for their company. I informed them that I was going to be writing up this review, he told me to go ahead and that he didn't care what I did.

All in all, after everything was said and done. My brother ended up calling the company back and he is shipping it to them AGAIN. They said they were going to build him a whole new computer this time, we'll see how this one goes.

It was reviewed through many different companies, CNET had a few not so positive customer reviews.

I for one being a computer person, would NEVER go through this with a company after the reshipment of the "second" computer. I would have gotten my refund and went through another company, at least then I would know I wouldn't get shoddy customer service and I would be able to get reliable tech support. But that is just me. I can go through a computer components company and be able to buy all the products I need for a fraction of the price and have it all be new product. As the saying goes, don't make other people's problems become yours, this is especially true in electronics of any sort.

The moral of this story, please be careful of where you buy your computers. Just because the company sells cool product doesn't mean they are the best company. Do your research and find out as a whole how the company runs and operates. Or use a consultant to find out what they think. Either way don't just settle, know what your getting into.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close