Desktops forum: How to get Internet access, computer doesn't have a modem?

by: GamerGirl7 March 8, 2010 6:19 PM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

How to get Internet access, computer doesn't have a modem?

by GamerGirl7 - 3/8/10 6:19 PM

I have a new ZT Affinity 7290Li Desktop. I am trying to set up Internet access. I thought it would be easy to do myself, but I found I know waaay less about this topic than what I thought and really need some help/advice!

On my old computer I had Time Warner Roadrunner internet service installed in about 2005. There is another computer in the house which has a router from them,and has the main hookup for the Internet service. My old computer had a little router?/wireless that attached to the back of my PC with a USB, and however Time Warner (TW) set it up. I attached this to the new computer, and it didn't work. The old computer died so I can't get into the system to see the internet protocols that were set up for TW either.

TW told me that I needed the new updated CD to install the software that would make the wireless internet work. When that didn't work,(its not updated to be compatible with Windows 7), they played all kinds of phone games with me, and had me even call ZT Systems acting like it was something to do with their computer!

Long story short, I got a TW rep to admit their CD wasn't updated for Windows 7, and beyond even wanting to discuss anything else with me, they were trying to get a serviceperson to my house to install/hookup a new connection/router (visit would be free of charge they said, but I don't know what they may "suggest" I need after getting here). I don't want to have to have someone come over if it was working before, and I can do something to get it to work on my own.

So question is what do I need to do to get my Internet back? If I absolutely have to call them, then I will, but I don't want to be talked/tricked into their new "even faster" service, or some other monthly fee to get it to work(Hmmm-does it sound like I've had enough of communication mogul conglomerates?) I miss the days of "just" clicking on the Internet Explorer icon and getting connected (by way of the modem), before the days of even having to have Antivirus protection!

The new computer does NOT have a modem, and when I try to establish Internet access it keeps saying I do not have an Ethernet card.
I have read discussions which said that you can hook an ethernet cable directly to the router from the ethernet port, but the "main" modem is across the house in another room, so that is not feasible.

I would like some suggestions for options of what I can do. Below is a list of what is included on my computer (I don't even know what all these ports are for, I haven't kept up with technology-things were going too good with my old system)! I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

3.2GHz Intel Core i5 processor 650 with Intel Turbo Boost and Hyperthreading technologies
Intel H55 chipset
6GB DDR3 SDRAM
1TB SATA hard drive
DVD+/-RW optical drive
Radeon HD4350 silent graphics card with 512MB DDR2 VRAM
Eight-channel high-definition audio CODEC with jack sensing
10/100/1000 gigabit ethernet
Front panel 19-in-1 digital multimedia card reader
Eight USB 2.0 ports
Six audio ports
Two PS/2 keyboard/mouse ports
HDMI port
VGA port
DVI port
RJ-45 port
PCI/PCI Express slots
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit
Measures approximately 7-1/8"W x 16-1/2"D x 14-1/4"H
UL listed; 2-year Limited Manufacturer's Warranty

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close