Problems With Dell XPS 400
by JB1323 - 2/4/09 7:48 PM
I've had the system for three years and haven't had trouble before. I run Windows XP, if that helps. Was working online tonight when suddenly the "green" light on the monitor (signifying it's in active mode) went to orange (stand-by) and the screen was blank. The PC then began to make a warning sound, like a warning buzzer that was two short sounds each time. This buzzer sound stopped after about ten seconds. I looked in the back of the computer and there was a green light inside that was illuminated - not sure if that means anything. On the front of the computer, the 3 and 4 numbers were lit up. I turned it off, tried to turn it on again, same thing. I waited ten minutes, tried again. It booted up and worked for about five minutes before it kicked again. When I push the menu screen on the monitor, I get the message:
2. Digital input in power save mode. Press any key on keyboard or move mouse.
I try both, nothing works. I tried different outlets, different power strips and it's always the same result.
It's almost like it has overheated and goes into power save mode to not overheat. But the green light on the monitor won't stay green - it always goes to orange.
Not sure how to proceed here. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you for your help.