Majic Jack - Pros & Cons from long-time user
To answer other questions about majicJack (MJ) VoIP technology. Compared to other paid Internet phone services today MJ is the most cost-effective. Voice-over-Internet-protocol technology is superior today compared to other type of voice communications in:
- it's the cheapest on the market VoIP technology
- requires only a minimal initial investment (the cost of the device, plus first year subscription)
- works through your computer, as well as through your other home phone
- After you paid the initial cost of the hardware itself, you pay including in the initial cost only $19.99 per year subscription for free-of-charge calls in U.S. Renewal cost you the same $19.99 per year and you can do that online. Other also can call you for free, especially if they also have MJ device hooked in their PC or their home phone.
- When you are away from your home, you need stable Internet connection (stable WiFi connection also works), in order to use your MJ to place free-of-charge calls in U.S., or being abroad and calling U.S. phone.
- Once you register the MJ in U.S. territory, MJ would assign for you an unique phone#, most likely with the same area code as your home. Also, you can travel with it abroad and use it to call for free any U.S. phone back home.
- While for other international calling using your MJ phone you can subscribe by charging your credit card on $10 increments. Once you consumed the dollar amount (only cents per min fee depends on the foreign country location) for international calling from U.S., or being on the territory of foreign country - you can charge your card with aditional$10 or more, up to you, your credit card info is not stored and not charged authomatically, as other do.
In summary, I personally experienced a life in U.S. and abroad using as a phone connection MJ and my laptop only through Internet connection. It works even for those of my contacts that are in U.S. and abroad too, especially for those who already have MJ too.
- MJ is not a replacement of your mobile phone. You can not place calls on the go while away from home, you need to have Internet connection and your mobile PC handy in order to place a call. Also other can't find you as they can when using mobile phone. However, other can leave a voice mail, which you can retrieve using your MJ software poping up on your PC screen.
- or you can retrieve your voice mail through Email notification with audio file attachment MJ sends you every time someone left VM for you. With other words it's a plus actually that you are not going to miss any voice mail, even when your MJ is not hooked-in your PC.
- No full-blown customer support as we are used to. You only can use MJ Website where you registered your device, to chat online with a rep if available. Otherwise no other phone technical or other support.
Was this reply helpful? (0) (0)