Broadband forum: Not getting speeds I should be getting, help!!

by: cptpooface May 7, 2007 3:31 PM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Not getting speeds I should be getting, help!!

by cptpooface - 5/7/07 3:31 PM

I am paying 66 dollars a month for a buisness ADSL connection. I am supposed to be getting 3.0 Mbps download and 1.0 Mbps upload. I realize these numbers are probably the maximum speeds possible and that I probably won't be getting those types of speeds. But, I am not even getting close to those speeds. I have been running speed tests all day, from six different sites. I ran a ton of tests over and over, then I averaged them all out, for my download speed I average 700 kb/s, and for my upload speed I average 100 kb/s. The highest download speed I ever got was 916 kb/s and fastest upload was 150 kb/s. The slowest download speed was 326 kb/s. I don't know much about this stuff, but I am pretty sure that these speeds suck. My download speed isn't even cracking 1.0 Mbps. The speeds listed by the speed test are way faster than I have ever gotten while downloading something from the internet. I also think I am getting ripped off for spending 66 bucks a month to get these crappy speeds. I am usually downloading a lot, from a lot of different sources. To the best of my knowledge I have never gotten as high as 600 kb/s. If I am downloading something like a trial version of nero burning rom directly from the internet site, I usually get speeds between 250 and 500 kb/s. I have also used IRC a few times and that is where I got the highest speeds. The worst speeds I get is from BitTorrents. I use BitTornado and if I ever get into the 40 or 50 kb/s range I am ecstatic, I usually barely crack 20 kb/s. I didn't know that a lot of people are able to get close to 1.0 Mbps, I have talked to quite a few people that say they can get 500 kb/s no problem, they said sometimes they can get as high as 900kb/s. It is really frustrating to know that people with ADSL are getting so much higher speeds than me. I would kill to be able to get a bittorrent file to download at 500 kb/s. I looked up the average speed for my ISP and it's 1.8 Mbps, and that is counting home accounts that max out at 2.0 Mbps.

I'm not sure what system info is needed to help fix the problem, but I will list what I can. I have an Nvidia Nforce 680i motherboard and Windows XP media center. When I go to Network Connections there is a Local Area Connection icon, which is my active connection, when I double click the icon it brings up a connection status window. With the general tab selected there is an area titled "connection" it lists Status, Duration, and Speed. The speed listed is 100.0 Mbps, I don't know what that means, but I thought it might be helpful. I have another computer on the same network. The network is setup so the ADSL modem is hooked into a LinkSys router, then I have an ethernet cable running from the router to each computer, I have no wireless connections. I don't know what else to list, I hope I have given enough information for someone to help me out.

I am really sorry for the length of the post, it is a little too long. I am just really mad that I may be paying too much for a subpar ISP. I am really trying to get faster download speeds, especially for bittorrents, I would love to be able to get up to 500kb/s when downloading a torrent. I know there are a lot of variables that go into the speed of bittorrent downloads, but I think I should be getting faster speeds than 10kb/s. If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close