Windows 95/98 forum: Need to reboot but System can't find my CD-ROM.

by: TokioOkio November 3, 2006 12:42 AM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Need to reboot but System can't find my CD-ROM.

by TokioOkio - 11/3/06 12:42 AM

Catch 22: I have multiple problems on an old Windows 98J system that I am not ready to give up on just yet. I have asked parts of this question in forums before but it problem isnt fixed yet.

Hardware/Software
IBM Aptiva 16J (IBM 216516J) Windows 98 Japanese (build 4.10.1998)
450MHz AMD K6-2 w/3Dnow!; 64kB primary memory cache, 512kB secondary
Main Circuit Board: SiS-530, Bus Clock 100MHz
Generic IDE HDD (8.43GB9 No SMART Driver Award Software International, Inc. BKBEN22A 11/03/00
Memory Modules: 252 MB Slot 0 128Mb, Slot 1 128MB.
I have only a "Product Recovery Disk".

My original HDD has about 1.5MB in bad sectors. I need to replace my HDD but my CD-ROM isn't working. I bought a new 40 GB HDD and a new internal CD-R/W (they didn't have a CD-ROM). Without a working internal CD drive, I cannot install my new HDD or reinstall Windows on my old drive.

I also have a Explorer.exe error whenever I boot up. The error message, in Japanese, translates:
Abort: this program performed incorrect processing
Please contact the manufacturer of the program when it does not abort"

"Page infringement of the EXPLORER"
Module: GDI32.DLL Address: 0167: bff26001"

After I click to close the warning, I can use the computer. Most programs work. Outlook Explorer doesnt work correctly. It has been so long now that I dont remember exactly what is wrong. The small icons in Outlook Express and on the Task Bar are blacked out.

If I could fix this Explorer.exe problem I could use the computer for a while without having to reinstall, but I am resigned to reformatting and reinstalling Windows to cure it, unless someone has a better idea.

My Catch 22 is, in brief, the hard disk in my IBM Aptiva 2165-16J (1999,
W98J) has way too many bad sectors (about 1.5MB of its 8.4GB total) . When I
boot up, it boots but gives me a warning that Explorer.exe is corrupted. I
press OK and the warning goes away. So I need to replace Explorer.exe I
think, which I think means reinstalling Windows.

Here is the catch. My CD-ROM drive doesn't work. Everybody tells me the drive is bad. I replaced it with a new CD-R/W (couldn't find a CD-ROM) but the system won't recognize it either. I also replaced the flat cable just in case it was bad. This seems to indicate to me that not recognizing the CD-ROM is not a hardware problem. (Another thing lead me to this conclusion. When new, the CD-ROM worked correctly, but after about two years it stopped working and I couldnt find it. I wanted a burner anyway so I bought a USB CD-R/W and used it. Another couple of years later, after a major crash and a GO Back I think, the CD-ROM started working again and worked for another couple of years. Then about a year ago I lost it again.) The CD-ROM drawer has always opened and the media is in a different position after I close the drawer and reopen it. I have tried all combinations of CD drive and flat cable with the same results.

So I have to reinstall but without a working ATAPI CD drive I can't. Catch 22 squared.

Misc.:
I have a working CD-R/W, but it is on a USB 1.1 connection. I have backed up the entire original drive (I think) onto my 250GB external HDD which is also USB 1.1 (I backed it up using a hard disk drive adaptor so Windows was not running when I backed it up. That would copy hidden files wouldnt it?)
I downloaded all the Windows 98 Critical updates before 98 was orphaned and have them on the Ext. HDD. The Windows running on the IBM also has all the updates.
I have made boot disk.
I have another copy of W98 on the hard drive from an eOne, but it is English. I can put that HDD in the adaptor and copy onto the big Ext.HDD.
I have a new legal copy of Windows 2000 English.
The cautions in the outside of my new internal CD-R/W say it will only run with a Japanese OS.

Under Other Devices in my Belarc summary, I have something called a Mitsumi CD-ROM Controller with double speed drive. I have no idea about it relationship to the missing CD-ROM.

Questions:
Is there a way I can replace the GDI32.DLL file? If so, where can I get a good copy? Is it language specific? (I have the English W98 on the eOne HDD..)

Suplimental Question: If I get the CD-ROM working and can install my new 40GB HD, should I partition it? If so, how many partitions of what size? What (free, I hope) software should I use for partitioning.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close