Web design & hosting forum: Domain stolen while hosted at GoDaddy - HELP!

by: Wood Loon May 20, 2013 2:11 PM PDT

Like this

1 person likes this thread

Staff pick

Resolved question

Domain stolen while hosted at GoDaddy - HELP!

by Wood Loon - 5/20/13 2:11 PM

Short version: My locked domain name of ten years was, without my knowledge or permission, unlocked and transferred to someone in China.

Long version:

7/7/2003 - I registered a domain name (like 5BG.com) that has been parked at Go Daddy for ten years. Along with several other domains. Some have web sites, some don't.

My domain was set to automatically renew and I had checked the "locked" box.

Early 2013 - I was contacted by a company "5th Bride Games" that asked if I wanted to sell the domain. I responded once to say I'd think about it and how to set a price. Is this related to what happened next? I don't know, but maybe it is useful information for you to know.

5/7/13 - The domain was set to automatically renew in July and Go Daddy sent me an offer to "renew now and save 15%" or something like that.

5/12/13 6AM - Go Daddy sent me an email that I had requested the status of 5BG.com be changed to "unlocked" -
"You do not need to respond to this email. If, however, you think this change may have been made in error or fraudulently, please contact us within 15 days."

5/12/13 4PM - I sent a notice to Go Daddy -
SOMEONE STOLE MY DOMAIN -
* "When I look at my list of domains I do NOT see 5BG.com.
* I never gave permission for it to lapse or be transferred.
* Network Solutions lists another owner (Chinese, "owned since 7/7/2002" which is one day after I registered it).
* Please fix the problem and notify me."

5/17/13 - Go Daddy responded -
"Although we requested that the current registrar reinstate you as the registrant, they have indicated that they will not assist with the return of the domain name(s). As the losing registrar, we no longer have control over the domain name(s). Likewise, any ICANN transfer is the responsibility of the gaining registrar. Therefore, you will need to contact the current registrar if you feel the transfer was handled improperly.
Any dispute over the registration of the domain name(s) will need to be sent to the registrant, current registrar, through an ICANN-approved arbitration provider (http://www.icann.org/en/dndr/udrp/approved-providers.htm) or the local court system.
Regards,Alex H, Transfer Disputes, Go Daddy"

HELP!
What can I do?
Can any third party unlock any domain and transfer it away from the original owner?
What is my recourse?

---------------------------------
For anyone interested in more details -
* I am keeping the actual domain name private because I am nervous this post might trigger complexities in resolving this
* The "like 5BG" was an abbreviation for another domain "like 5 Bright Girls" that failed to get funded, but I've held onto the domain names just in case

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close

You are requesting a clarification of the question: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Submit Clarification Request Preview Cancel

Close

You are posting an answer to the question: Post Subject

Submit Answer Preview Cancel

Close
close

Click here to be notified via e-mail when someone submits an answer.

Would you like to resolve this question? close

Based on your response, it looks like this question has been answered.

Sorry, there was a problem resolving this question. Please try again.

Resolve Leave unresolved