My profile shows my specs but briefly they are;

Dell Dimension 8300
Windows XP Pro with SP2 - installed and running with no problems
Pentium P4, 3.00 Ghz
2GB Ram
220 GB HD
128 DDR ATI Radeon 9800 adapter

I've just failed to update the following High Priority Windows Updates;

Security Update for Windows XP (KB888302)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB890047)
Security Update for Windows Messenger (KB887472)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB885250)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB891781)
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP (KB867282)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB888113)
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - February 2005 (KB890830)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB873333)

I get no error codes, and the only error message I received was an "Installing Updates" dialogue window stating "Updates were unable to be successfully installed", and "The following updates were not installed". The following list is the list above.

None of the updates listed installed. When I went to the View Installation History page and clicked on any of the "Failed" status entries, there are no Error Codes for me to check and refer to, and the Update Troubleshooter does not list anything that suggests it relates to my problem.

The first time I attempted this today, I got a User Agreement to tick as accepted, (which I did), and a "brief" download window, (the actual time suggested was 6 minutes, but it was a few seconds), then the failure of each update listing in the dialogue window.

I have updated and scanned with;

AVG 7
Spybot S&D
SpywareBlaster
MSAntiSpyware
Ad-Aware SE Personal,

and have no infections, virus, trojans, spyware, adware or other malware that they could detect. I have not error checked the disk or de-fragged, but will do if anyone recommends it.

My firewall is enabled and is Zonelarm Pro newest version, 5.5.062.011, this has only this week been updated, so a possible conflict there may exist, but nothing relevant is disallowed in Programs, and in Components wuauserv.dll is allowed, as are all the other windows update components.

I use Firefox 1.0, (updated), and IE for Windows Updates only.

Each time after the initial update attempt, (and after I scanned), I don't receive the user agreement, and no download is attempted, ie, the "Installing Update" unsuccessful dialogue immediately appears. I have also tried to install individual updates, but get the same error.

In Add/Remove, none of the updates are shown. (The last Windows XP Hotfix displayed is KB890175 on 1/12/05, (US date format). Prior to that are hotfixes for 12/14/04 and 11/13/04 (US dates)).

Prior to today, I had configured XP's Security Center to "Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them. After the first failed attempt, I amended the SC to Automatic, every day at 11:00 am, but in the Windows Update site, configuring the Update settings gives me a time of 03:00, (ie 3:00 am), and when I try to change it to 11:00 am, it allows the change but immediately reverts back to 03:00 am when I re-check it. My own time settings in SC on my computer remain at 11:00am. I close down my PC every night, and don't fancy staying up until 3 O'Clock to see if Automatic Updates kick in then.

Needless to say, at 11:00 am today nothing happened. No connection was made to automatically update.

So, I'm confused. What have I done wrong? What can I do to download and install these updates? I have read Grif's suggestions in this thread about downloading individual updates manually and I am willing to do that, but I'm interested to know why I haven't been able to update from the Windows Update site. Besides, Grif's suggestion was for a problem that doesn't exactly match mine, and I have searched these forums but can't find anything similar.

There you go. As I have seen many times in these forums, HELP! happy

Mark

Er.... sorry for the long post.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close