by: ClaudiaWalky February 14, 2013 12:17 PM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Resolved question

Tried to install XP a number of times and got several errors

by ClaudiaWalky - 2/14/13 12:17 PM

Hi,
I have an old computer (2005) that I want to keep becaue my new one has Win 7 64x and some old software doesn't work with it. That's why when the mobo died I search for a new compatible one. To avoid getting stressed I sent the machine to a pc shop. It was a mistake. If I had installed it myself, surely I would have checked 100 times that everything was well connected. (I assumed that a technician working for a rather big business will have everything you need to check HW before closing the housing) Above all, I would not have added junk software. What a bad habit some technicians have!

My problem is that, before having the opportunity to uninstall the crap , my pc started showing problems. Finally reboot ad infinitum began to finally not at all while warned me a file was corrupted.

Well,no problem, I would made a parallel installation of XP SP2 and that would be all. Then the 2nd problem came: the CD reader nor the DVD RW were working fine. Imposible to use a CD then. I bought a new internal DVD RW. It seems the external DVD RW doesn't work in cases like this. Finally, I gathered my courage and installed it. Then I noticed the old DVD RW hasn't the audio cable connected. It seems that was the problem with it. Ok, now let's do the parallel installation.

A lot of errors appeared, included a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA BSOD. In several forums I checked the answer to similar cases was ' it must be a faulty memory'. One 'victim' in one of those cases, tried formatting and it worked perfectly. Ok, let's try that then. I performed a quick formatting and everything was going fine until the system warned me about some 'battery software' that didn't pass the MS standard and giving it the ok would bring unstability. My head was by then on the clouds and I let the software in with the foreseeable consequences: a BSOD of PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA BSOD Grrrr! Now I tried with an in depth formatting. It seemed to have paid off when after setting up Windows I get the damn BSOD again, this time for 'bad pool header error'.

And now? Any idea? Maybe some of my hardware that may be installed incorrectly? Needless to say, I won't invest more money if any part is wrong or not supported by the new mobo. Except it really is a silly thing to be fixed with a few $ $ $.

Thanks in advance,
Caia

Windows XP SP2
Mother >>>Asrock P4i65G (brand new) [ 2 ports of SATA 1.5Gb/s, 2 ATA100 IDE ports /Intel® 865G Chipset ] (http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/P4i65G/?cat=Download&os=XP)
BIOS >>> 4Mb AMI BIOS
CPU >>> Intel P4 Northwood 2,26 GHz 478 pin
RAM >>> NovaTech Solutions 1GB DDR PC3200U DDR-200 (3-3-3-8 2-11-0-0)
>>> Infineon (Siemens) AED660UD00-600C88X 512MB DDR PC2700U DDR-166 (2.5-3-3-7 2-10-0-0)]
Storage Devices >>>WDC WD800BB-00JHC0 80GB (ATA10:75GB (C:)
>>>WDC WD1600AVBB-00SYA0 (160GB, :149GB (D:) (E:) (F:)
Optical drives >>> LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H10A (ATA3:N/A (G:)
>>> LG Super-Multi GH24NS90 internal SATA DVD Rewriter ( new installation)
Teclado >>>USB Genius (with a USB to ps2 adapter because it didn't work via USB)
Mouse >>> no mouse, because it's a MS wireless USB .It didn't work too.)

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close

You are requesting a clarification of the question: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Submit Clarification Request Preview Cancel

Close

You are posting an answer to the question: Post Subject

Submit Answer Preview Cancel

Close
close

Click here to be notified via e-mail when someone submits an answer.

Would you like to resolve this question? close

Based on your response, it looks like this question has been answered.

Sorry, there was a problem resolving this question. Please try again.

Resolve Leave unresolved