Windows XP forum: HELP! My PC Shuts down when I play ANY Video!

by: peakcelln August 2, 2010 2:16 PM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

HELP! My PC Shuts down when I play ANY Video!

by peakcelln - 8/2/10 2:16 PM

I hate this PC. I have had one problem after another, but I can't afford another PC right now and have to deal with this POS Emachines.

AMD Athlon Processor 2650e
1.61 ghz 1.75GB Ram 160gb HD

Windows XP Home
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Everything has been working fine now for about 6 months(So I'm 3 mos overdo for a crash) since I had to wipe everthing and restart.

Last week I had to tape a Digital Video and then edit it using Windows Movie Maker. The storing was very slow but I finally finished the project. Then I decided to tape one last thing on my Nokia N95 (A phone with a very good Carl Zeiss video recorder in it). I tried to merge it on WMM but it could not find it because WMM doesnt recognize mp4's(Even though it said it does, but thats another problem). So first I downloaded "FLV Converter" because the description stated it would convert my mp4 to AVI. It didnt. Then I DLed another converter called Leavo or something like that. It would only do what I needed if I bought the upgraded version. Then I read theres been a program around for years that would do the trick called "mp4camavi" or something like that. I downloaded the program and tried to convert the Nokia video to an avi file. It didnt do it the normal way(I dont know why) but then I tried a different way and it dumped it in the "Video Out" folder the program reccomended that I build. When I went to play the Video to see if it would play, It quickly acted like it would play it by showing the Windows Media Screen for a second then the whole screen went black and my PC shut down.
Now whenever I play ANY video, online or on my PC, it causes my PC to shut down and reboot. I then uninstalled all the programs I mentioned above, and it still does the same thing. I deleted the "Mp4camavi" folder because the program was not listed in my Programs file(Unless its under a different name). I even deleted the Windows Live program I had just uploaded from windows site; but still does the same thing. Then I opened up the back of the PC and cleaned out the fan, and the processor(?) below it, still does it. Then I Removed the Original Ram I had and tried it with the aftermarket one I put in, and then tried it with only the original, still same thing. I do notice each time my PC starts while its loading AVG and everything else the screen goes black for a half of second(It never has done that before). I have run out of ideas. I havent done a restore yet because I know it will erase everything on my desktop and I would have to back up a lot of programs with my Micro SD cards. I'm a cellphone repair guy and need that desktop for all my reference stuff; its taken me hundreds of hours to get back what I lost the last time. If you havent guessed yet, I'm not much of a Computer guy, but I do have a little tech ability in being able to take apart any cell phone. ANYONE! PLEASE HELP!

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close