Computer will not start... windows\system32\config\system

by nugz1 - 9/25/09 1:21 PM

Hello all, I have a Dell Dimension 8100 with 2.4 gig processor, 512 bytes of ram, windows xp sp3, thats all I really know about it. So the other day I started my pc and get the "windows cannot start because windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt' message. I went to microsoft and followed there step by step, I used recovery console using the windows xp home edition sp2 setup disc, but when I'm in recovery console and try to copy c:\windows\system32\config\system, c:\windows\tmp\system.bak, or c:\windows\repair\system it says the file cannot be found. I've tried several times and made sure there are no spelling errors, but still says theres no file. I ran a check disk and it said it fixed one or more errors but didn't help. I then tried to just reinstall windows itself but at the blue setup screen to select install(enter)/repair(r)/quit(f3) i hit enter and it says insert a valid cd, the setup cd is in the cd drive and I've never had a problem with it before. I bought XP home edition sp2 at walmart for another computer, i don't have the original that came with the computer that is having the problem. I've spent time looking for other solutions or someone who has had the same problem as me, but can't find any help. Anyone know how to fix this? Where can I get the files I need? Why wont the sp2 disc work? I hope I have given enough info, I can't think of anything else. I would hate to have to buy a new pc wink