Windows XP forum: IE6 critical update this week fails error code 0x80242008

by: Ted-T April 16, 2009 5:57 AM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

IE6 critical update this week fails error code 0x80242008

by Ted-T - 4/16/09 5:57 AM

So this week MS released a critical update for IE6.

The IE update failed on my machine.

I submitted a trouble ticket via MS online portal which is free if a failure or anomaly occurs during a windows update. Yes, I gave permission for the MS portal to extract certain files.

At the moment I am disinclined to download IE7 as my 99% preference4 is Firefox save for Windows and Office updates which require IE.

Here is the response from MS.

= = = = = = = = = =
IE6 critical update this week fails error code 0x80242008
Dear Ted,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Windows Update Support. My name is Kelly, and I am glad to work with you. To contact me, you may send emails to my account: v-30kelh@mssupport.microsoft.com with the case ID SRXzzzzzzzzzzz in the subject line.

First, I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to your support request. Please be assured that you have successfully contacted the correct support team and I will be working with you to address your concerns as quickly as possible.

From the case log, I understand that Windows XP Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP (KB963027) cannot be installed with the error code 0x80242008. If I have misunderstood your concern, please dont hesitate to let me know.

I understand the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured that I will do my best to help you.

The issue is caused by the corrupted Internet Explorer components. I suggest we install Internet Explorer 7 to replace the corrupted components. At this time, I suggest that we manually download it. The detailed steps are below:

1. Please download Internet Explorer 7 to the Desktop. For your convenience, I have provided the link below:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/8/8/38889DC1-848C-4BF2-8335-86C573AD86D9/IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe

2. Double click the downloaded file to install Internet Explorer 7.
However, if any other error is received when accessing the Windows Update site, the issue can be caused by the Windows Update engine.

Please be assured that I will work closely with you to resolve the issue. In order to find the root cause, please provide me with the following information for research.

How to Capture a Screenshot:
======================
1. When the error appears, please press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click "Start", click "Run", type MSPAINT, and click "OK".

3. In Paint, click "Paste" under the "Edit" Menu, click "Save" under the "File" menu, type a file name for the screenshot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", click "Desktop" on the left pane, and click "Save".

4. Please find the screenshot on the Desktop and send it as an attachment to: v-30kelh@mssupport.microsoft.com

How to collect the Installation log file:

============================
1. Click "Start" and click "Run".
2. In the Open box, type "%windir%" (without quotation marks) and press "Enter".
3. Please send these files to my email address v-30kelh@mssupport.microsoft.com if they do not exist, do not worry.
ie7_main.log
ie7.log
ie7Uninst.log

Note: When attaching files to emails, the process will vary depending on the email application being used. While you are composing the email, most applications will provide you with either an "Attach" button or Paper Clip Icon to click in order to attach a file. After clicking this button/icon you must browse to the file you wish to attach and select it by either double clicking it or clicking it once and then clicking on the "Attach" button.

Your feedback is very important to us. I would appreciate your confirmation or a reply from you on the results for the suggestions above. If anything is unclear, or if there are any questions about the steps, please do not hesitate to let me know. I will be glad to help.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Best Regards,
Kelly Huang
v-30kelh@mssupport.microsoft.com
Microsoft Windows Update Professional
----------------------------------------------------
Very satisfied customers are my top priority.
Please let either myself or my manager know what you think of the level of service provided. You can send feedback to my manager, Charles Zhang at zzzzzz

You also can use our phone support. A phone engineer will be assigned to assist you going forward and he/she will have the access to the up-to-date case notes of the original case. You can call 1-866-234-6020 by reference our case ID.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close