I contacted HP andd they came up with the following (which has worked).
Follow the steps below to enable print sharing for the All-in-One products.
1. Install the All-in-One product by following the directions provided with it.
2. click Start and then Printers and Faxes.
3. Right-click the printer icon for the All-in-One product and select Sharing on the menu. The Properties will appear with the Sharing tab on top
4. Click the option to share the printer, and then enter a unique name for the printer in the Share Name field. Write this name down exactly as it is entered because it will be required to set up the remote computers. Click OK to finish the setup.
Determining the name of the host computer:-
You must know the name of the host computer (the computer that the All-in-One product is connected to) to set up Print Sharing.
1. On the host computer, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. Select the Computer Name tab.
3. Write down the computer name.
Follow the steps below to install the All-in-One product on a remote computer using the Point and Print method :-
1. Click Start, and then click Search.
2. In the list of search types, click A computer on the network.
3. Type in the name of the computer the All-in-One is connected to.
4. Click Search.
5. When the computer is found, double-click it.
6. Double-click the name of the shared All-in-One product.
7. The Add Printer wizard will appear. Click Next.
8. If it asks Local or Network, choose Local, then click Next
9. In the Manufacturers list, choose HP.
10. In the Printer list, choose the HP Deskjet 3420 printer, then click Next. Provide the Windows CD-ROM or appropriate path when you are prompted for
11.Select the port where the HP product is installed (ex: LPT1), then choose Next.
12. The printer name should be listed as HP Deskjet 550C Printer.
13. Click No on Do you want your Windows based programs to use this printer as your default printer? Then click Next.
14. Click No when it asks, Would you like to print a test page (recommended). Then click Finish
15. Select the option to Print a test page, and then click Next.
16. Click Finish to install the driver and print a test page.
Was this reply helpful? (0) (0)