Grinding/Clicking noises from the hard drive--virus related?
by space-wolf - 10/30/06 6:14 AM
(PC Details: Windows XP, HP Pavilion 743c, 2.4GHz Intel pentium, 512MB SDRAM, ~4 years old)
I've read several threads here already discussion hard drive noises where the culprit seemed to be a hardware problem. But I'm not certain if my PC is showing all the right 'symptoms' for it to be hardware-related.
1) The clicking noise occurs at start-up and *mostly* (85-90% of the time) during internet browsing.
2) The sound itself is unusual--please don't laugh, I can only use onomatopoeia to describe it--but preceeding each click, there's a grinding ''shhhhhrrrrp'' sound.
3) The duration of the clicking episodes vary. Sometimes it will click for 15 seconds (timed) and other times it will continue for as long as a minute and a half.
4) The clicking does *not* always occur on startup. This morning, it turned on just fine, noise-free. And now as I type this, it gave off two clicks.
5) Almost always, web browsers will stop responding during these clicking sessions. Occaisionally, the PC will freeze up or restart of its own accord.
6) I've run personal diagnostics and performed a systems check at pcpitstop.com, and received no error messages except a yellow flag on my uncached speed.
7) No Blue Screen of Death has occurred, but twice last week on start-up, the PC locked.
This is a long list of weirdness and I appreaciate it very much if you've been able to read through it all. Is there anything I can do to salvage my baby?
Thank you for any and all suggestions!