Windows XP forum: Programs won't work in Limited User Accounts

by: MikeKlaiber March 20, 2004 7:01 AM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Programs won't work in Limited User Accounts

by MikeKlaiber - 3/20/04 7:01 AM

I have fairly recently upgraded to WinXP Pro. I am logged on as the system administrator. Three other family members have limited user accounts.

Things work fine for me but a lot of programs dont work properly on the other accounts. This includes Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, which I assume is WinXP program. I have read the article at http://users.westelcbsi.com/rogers/xpsware.htm and the linked Knowledge Base articles 307091 & 308418.

I have copied shortcuts from Desktop & the Programs folder to All Users but this has not really worked. In fact it made things worse on my account as it seemed to double install some start up programs. I have now restored back.

While in the limited accounts, I cannot install or re-install programs, as this is prevented by the account settings.

I have read the guidelines to run with different credentials, but cant follow that through as I havent set a password on my administrative account (nor do I really want to).

There is nothing on my administrative account that needs to keep secret and all I want is for everyone to have full access to the system programs. I didnt think XP was supposed to be this difficult. I am frankly confused by what to do.

Ive looked at the article HOW TO: Set, ViewFolder Permissions but dont really know if that will achieve what I want.

One other thing. I dont know if it is connected, or not. In User Accounts there is an account entitled ASP.NET Machine A., Limited Account, Password Protected I dont know what this account is. It does not display on the Welcome Screen. A friend set up the OS install for me, so I dont know if this comes with the install, or not.

This is causing real difficulty at present. Is anyone able to assist please ? With thanks.

Mike Klaiber

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close