Windows XP forum: Lost Access to Administrator Profile in Windows XP Pro SP2

by: nemolar August 3, 2005 11:29 AM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Lost Access to Administrator Profile in Windows XP Pro SP2

by nemolar - 8/3/05 11:29 AM

I had been using the Administrator Profile as my only user access to my computer: the place where I would surf the Internet, create documents, etc. (I now know that this is not recommended and that I should have been using my User Account for this purpose.) There are also two User Accounts on my computer: the first account is my own (which has exactly the same password access as the one I use for the Administrator Profile - which I now realize is also probably not a good idea) and the second account is for another person (who has a different password). Both User Accounts have "administrator privileges."

While I was doing some "tuning up" on the computer (working under the Administrator Profile, as usual), I had restarted the computer a couple of times in Safe Mode, and I suddenly found myself in my User Account instead of the Administrator Profile. I don't know exactly how or when this happened because, as I mentioned before, both have exactly the same password and, although they have different Desktops, I did not see the Desktop because I was going in and out of Safe Mode.

I then discovered that EVERYTHING that had been in the Administrator profile had been transferred over to the User Account: the Administrator's Desktop (which was different from my User Account's), the Administrator's documents, Administrator's e-mail, Administrator's Internet Explorer settings (including Adminstrator's Favorites list), etc., so my User Account now looks exactly like the Administrator Profile had looked.

As well there is now no way I can access the Administrator Profile again. When I try to access it now, I get the following message: "The system could not log you on. Make sure your User Name and domain are correct..."

Immediately leading up to the loss of the Administrator Profile (which actually happened in May), I had done the following (in the order listed): successfully completed a System Restore, updated both Windows XP and Office 2003, and installed the new MS Anti-Spyware program. After I had installed that new program, I was investigating its features and decided to try its "Advanced Tools". I used these tools to delete some things ("which" things, I don't exactly remember). At some point (as I mentioned previously), I logged in to "Safe Mode" to perform a scan (either an AVG Anti-Virus scan or an MS Anti-Spyware scan, I'm not sure which). It was while I was in "Safe Mode" that I realized I was in my User Account and not the Administrator Profile.

In any event, after I discovered the loss of access to the Administrator Profile, I decided to try a System Restore to correct the problem. However, to my dismay, I discovered that all my System Restore points had been deleted. I suppose this could have been due to the restore points' file being too full and the system automatically deleted everything there, or it could have been due to my use of the Advanced Tools feature in the MS Anti-Spyware program to erase things (at the time, I seem to remember seeing an option in the program or somewhere which allowed for the deletion of System Restore points - but now when I go back to check the program for this feature I can not find such an option).

In order to regain access to my Administrator Profile, I realize I might have to do a complete re-instal of Windows, but I would prefer not to have to resort to that. Therefore, I have the following questions.

First, does anyone have any idea what might have gone wrong? (So I don't do it again!) As a matter of note, I have no intention of again using the Administrator Profile as my main access to my computer, and I do not intend to again use the same password to access different Profiles on my computer.

Second, is there anything else I can do to try to regain access? (Remember all the System Restore points up to that time are gone.)

Third, does someone know if it is, indeed, even necessary that I regain access to the Administrator profile and why? (Considering that the two User Accounts both have "administrator privileges.")

Thanks so much for any assistance anyone can provide.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close