PC utilities forum: [Tutorial] How to close TuneUp Utilities and prevent startup

by: PlagueX March 28, 2012 7:08 AM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

[Tutorial] How to close TuneUp Utilities and prevent startup

by PlagueX - 3/28/12 7:08 AM

I got TuneUp Utilites the other day and decided I didn't want it to run all the time or at the start up of my computer, so I decided to make an easy batch file to remove it since I couldn't find an option to prevent it from running or prevent it from running when my computer starts up (couldn't find an option in TuneUp Utilites or msconfig angry ). So I opened my task manager and fooled around with TuneUp's exes by finding the names of them in its installation directory and finding the ones that will prevent it from running. Maybe some of you lack computer knowledge so I decided to make this very easy tutorial to accomplish this in hopes to help others that want the same thing.

Steps:

Note: If you don't want a file to run that closes TuneUp Utilities and only want to manually close it yourself then all you have to do is close first TuneUpUtilitiesService32.exe then TuneUpUtilitiesApp32.exe.

1.) Make a text file (it can be named anything).

2.) Open the text file and type in the following and save the text file once finished entering the following text:

TASKKILL /F /IM "TuneUpUtilitiesService32.exe"
TASKKILL /F /IM "TuneUpUtilitiesApp32.exe"
TASKKILL /F /IM "Integrator.exe"

3.) If you are able to see file extensions (is a folder option in windows) you can close the text file and rename it by right clicking it's icon and renaming the file extension to .bat , if you do not have the folder option enabled which allows you to rename file extensions, then do File Save As in the text file and save it with the file extension .bat instead of .text (or whatever text file extension you used), and you can delete the text file once the batch (.bat) file is made.

4.) If you want TuneUp Utilities to run at start up then you are finished with this tutorial and can now manually run this batch file to close TuneUp Utilities. However if you do not want TuneUp Utilities to run at start up continue this tutorial.

5.) Find your start up programs folder. Here are some for a few Windows operating systems:

Windows XP:

Personal (only for a specific user account):
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

All users:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Windows Vista:

C:\users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

All users:
C:\users\default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

Windows 7:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

All users:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

6.) If you only want TuneUp Utilites to close when your computer starts up then you can cut and paste the batch file you made in your start up programs folder. Otherwise if you want to both close TuneUp Utilites on start up and manually by running the batch file then you can make a shortcut of the batch file and place it in your start up programs folder. If you don't know how to make a shortcut, simply right click the icon of the batch file and click Create shortcut.

7.) You have completed the tutorial happy !

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close