Apple iOS Multiple Vulnerabilities
Release Date: 2013-02-15
Last Update : 2013-03-20
Criticality level: Highly critical
Impact : Security Bypass
Where : From remote
Solution Status: Vendor Patch
Operating System :
Apple iOS 6.x for iPhone 3GS and later
Apple iOS for iPad 6.x
Apple iOS for iPod touch 6.x
A weakness and multiple vulnerabilities have been reported in Apple iOS, which can be exploited by malicious, local users and malicious people with physical access to bypass certain security restrictions and by malicious people to compromise a vulnerable device.
1) A logic error error when handling emergency calls in the lock screen can be exploited to bypass the lock feature and e.g. disclose contact information or conduct phone calls.
2) A state management error when handling Mach-O executable files with overlapping segments can be exploited to bypass certain device restrictions and execute unsigned code.
3) An error when handling the change of permissions during a restore from a backup within Lockdown can be exploited to bypass certain device restrictions and change permissions of arbitrary files via symbolic link attacks.
4) An error when handling pipe object pointers in the IOUSBDeviceFamily driver can be exploited to bypass certain device restrictions by piping userspace object pointers and execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges.
5) An invalid cast error exists in the handling of SVG files within WebKit.
Note: Additionally a weakness in Kernel exists, which can be exploited to gain knowledge of the address of structures in the kernel.
The weakness and the vulnerabilities are reported in versions prior to 6.1.3.
Apply iOS 6.1.3 Software Update.
Provided and/or discovered by:
1) videosdebarraquito within a YouTube video. The vendor additionally credits Christopher Heffley, theMedium.ca.
2, 3, 4) The vendor credits evad3rs.
5) Originally reported by Nils and Jon Butler, MWR InfoSecurity within Google Chrome.
Was this reply helpful? (0) (0)