NEWS - September 10, 2012
by Carol~ - 9/10/12 8:47 AM
Saudi Aramco Says Networks Back Online, But No Results From Malware Investigation Yet
Saudi Aramco says that the virus attack that compromised tens of thousands of the company's workstations last month never endangered the company's oil production capabilities and that all of the affected systems have been brought back online and restored. The attack on Aramco has been linked by researchers to the Shamoon malware, but company officials did not comment on the nature or provenance of the malware.
The attack hit Aramco, one of the larger oil producers in the world, on August 15 and the company soon took its main Web sites offline as it investigated the extent and nature of the compromise. A group of attackers calling itself the Cutting Sword of Justice took credit for the attack through a post on Pastebin, saying that the operation had destroyed data on 30,000 machines, including both workstations and servers. The company originally did not comment on the extent of the damage to its network, simply saying that it had suffered an attack and was in the process of cleaning it up.
Later, however, Aramco officials acknowledged that the malware infestation had damaged about 30,000 computers, but emphasized that none of its oil-production facilities were affected and that its oil output would not be diminished as a result of the attack. On Monday, company officials said that security staffers had restored all of the infected machines and that its operations were back to normal.
Continued : https://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/saudi-aramco-says-networks-back-online-no-results-malware-investigation-yet-091012
'Shamoon' attack on Saudi oil industry had inside help
Insiders Implicated in Saudi Aramco Attack
Insiders Suspected in Aramco Attack