all OK, I think, after some work
by udscbt - 6/22/12 7:16 AM
In Reply to: See you then, George by Carol~
Well I'm back after 2 weeks in wet London!
I have done the following:
0. eliminated many unused programs
1. reran unhide.exe for the nth time
2. reran secunia.psi =>
a. 8 Insecure files: Adobe Flash Player 11.x, Microsoft.NET Framework (1x, 2x and 3x), Microsoft Internet Explorer 8x, Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Open Office.org 3.x and Sun Java JRE 1.6.x/6.x
b. 6 End-of-Life files: Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.x, Adobe SVG Viewer 2.x, Google Earth 5.x, Opera 11.x, Sun Java JRE 1.4.x and 1.5.x/5.x
c. 90 Patched files
d. Should I do something about a. and/or b.?
3. reran Hitman => 5 tracking cookies + dds.scr file => eliminated 3 tracking cookies and dds.scr file (remaining tracking cookies: kontera.com and revsci.net)
4. ran Kaspersky's TDSS Killer => no threats
5. after Google search, tried many things to get back my Desktop icons. One of them worked but, unfortunately, I don't know which one.
Apparently, I am back to where I was before the S.M.A.R.t HDD virus hit, except that my computer has been cleaned, so I am relieved. However, do you have any suggestions for any on-going maintenance? Do I continue to run Secunia? Do I buy Hitman? Should I change my anti-virus program, McAfee which is up for renewal in 60 days?
Thanks for all your help, udscbt aka georges
Was this reply helpful? (0) (0)