Spyware, viruses, & security forum: Is there better protection than Norton 360?

by: thomasterrible May 25, 2009 1:19 AM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Is there better protection than Norton 360?

by thomasterrible - 5/25/09 1:19 AM

I just got a new computer and am using a trial version of Norton 360.
My ISP is Comcast so I get McAfee for free but even for free I thought it was a horrible program and downloaded a couple of free ones recommended on Cnet, one I would leave on all the time the other I would leave off and just update and scan every night.

I also had System Mechanic but I got such poor support from them I am not hot on using them again. But do like PC optimization tools also.

It seems that Nortons program has gotten much better since the last time I used it, I like the updates every few minutes, the fact that it scans fast, and it has both the security against viruses and some PC optimization but not as many things as System mechanic, though I am not sure I need it system mechanic would defrag RAM for example.

I am willing to pay for the program if it is the best, but if there is something better I would like to know and use that. I also would like to know if the PC optimization with Norton 360 is comprehensive enough as it could be.

BTW I also turned on Windows Defender.

I have read that it is not good to have more than one anti-virus program on your computer but I used to have two loaded on and only one active then would shut that down and update and run a scan with the second one every night.

So what is my best protection I can get and is there a better optimizer than Nortons 360 has?

Finally does running Windows Defender count as running two anti-spyware programs that could conflice with each other or is it ok to leave it on as well as other things.

Even for free I would not use McAffee, it did not seem to ever find any problems when the free programs would.

Since I am moving from a 5 year old computer to a new one I am happy at how much faster and better my computer runs and also how much Norton has improved their program, but I dont know if there is something either better or that I should also use for full protection.

I have an HP computer and in the Health Check it tells me that I am not protected for the Internet even though I have Norton and Defender running and the firewalls on. I have tried to run the scan again and it still says I am not covered for online threats but the Norton programs says that everything is just fine and it does find things when I run a scan and it is much faster than the old program, but it could also be I have a faster computer. I am running Vista Home Premium 64 if that makes a difference, so far I have not had any problems with this OS at all and since I used to use XP it is similar enough to not need to be told how to use it.

Thanks in advance

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close