AVG 8 ... info from AVG support, re: MSN Messenger:
by skittzy - 4/27/08 7:23 AM
In Reply to: AVG 8 ... known issue by skittzy
Below is the email response I received from AVG Technical Support addressing my issue with MSN Messenger login failure:
Please follow these steps in the given order to solve the issue:
1. Please answer the following questions:- What is your operating system? (Windows 2000, Windows XP, WindowsVista, ...)- What type of Internet connection are you using? (dial-up, cable,DSL, Wi-Fi, LAN ...)- Do you use proxy server?- Is there other security software installed on the computer?(firewall, anti-virus, ...)- Do you use any hardware router with firewall?- Which Internet browser are you using (including its version)?- Is the problem limited only to some websites? If yes then which, andhow are they affected (slow loading, blocked)?
2. Disable the "Firewall" component (if it is part of your AVG editionand is installed):- Please open AVG user interface (double-click the AVG icon on yourDesktop)- Double-click the "Firewall" component- Select the "Firewall disabled" option and confirm changes byclicking the "Save changes" button What is the situation now? - Enable the Firewall again.
3. Temporarily disable the AVG Web Shield component as follows:- Open AVG user interface- Double-click the "Web Shield" component- Uncheck the "Enable Web Shield" option- Confirm changes by pressing the "Save changes" button Is the problem solved now? - Enable the Web Shield again.
4. Now please disable AVG LinkScanner:- Open AVG user interface- Double-click the "LinkScanner" component- Uncheck all 3 available options- Confirm changes by pressing the "Save changes" button Please let us know if the issue persists. - Enable the LinkScanner again.
5. Please save the attached file "get_netcheck.zip" to your computer(e.g. to the Desktop), and extract its contents- Run the file "check_connection.bat".- Once it finishes, a utility AVG Diagnostics 8.0 will be started,with a list of attached diagnostic files.- Please fill in your e-mail address, write answers to the questionsfrom step 1 and describe which of the steps 2 - 4 solved the problem(if any).- Click "Diagnose and send results" to send us the results foranalysis.
Thank you for your cooperation.
It is appreciated.
Answers to the most common questions can be found here as well:http://www.avg.com/faq/
AVG Technical Support website: http://www.avg.commailto: firstname.lastname@example.org
Was this reply helpful? (0) (0)