by R. Proffitt - 10/30/03 7:05 AM
Given that 99 out of 100 machines I see have parasites and that 1 out of 3 simply straighten up and fly straight when we eject the parasites, it would be nice if a single tool could incorporate all the following scans, tools and findings. Until then, here's a list of what I'm finding useful.
1. Adaware http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
2. Spybot http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10289035.html
3. Housecall http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
4. CWshredder http://www.download.com/3000-8022_4-10301587.html
5. Stinger http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
I would have included HijackThis, but that tool is truly something I can't hand out since many people don't or won't read the instructions. The above tools have been proving themselves very safe to use to eject what they find.
Another tool you suspect some startup program or want to curb a startup program is at http://www.webattack.com/get/starter.html
[Edited by: admin]