Homework done for you lazy bones.
According to senior diplomatic sources, the US State Department had credible information 48 hours before mobs charged the consulate in Benghazi, and the embassy in Cairo, that American missions may be targeted, but no warnings were given for diplomats to go on high alert and "lockdown", under which movement is severely restricted.
Mr Stevens had been on a visit to Germany, Austria and Sweden and had just returned to Libya when the Benghazi trip took place with the US embassy's security staff deciding that the trip could be undertaken safely.
"We've seen numerous reports now of a growing intelligence trail that this was a planned attack," said Richard Grenell, who served briefly as a national security spokesman for Mitt Romney and used to work for the U.S. ambassador to the U.N. under George W. Bush. Grenell questioned Obama's recent campaigns stops and media interviews in light of the tragedy.
State Department official reportedly told lawmakers Wednesday that he did think the assault was planned. And other lawmakers and analysts have reached the same conclusion. House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers told Fox News shortly after the attack that it was clearly "coordinated." His account was backed up by a Libyan official Thursday who said it was a two-stage operation.
Sources close to U.S. President Barack Obama's administration revealed that White House officials apparently received warnings that there were threats made to attack as many as seven U.S. missions in the Middle East, on the 11th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, as early as September 4. Sources also revealed that additional warnings were received a few days later, with similar information, but that all of the warnings were largely ignored by the administration. Normally when such warnings are received by the administration, the threat level is raised at U.S. installations around the world. At this point, there is no evidence that the Obama administration communicated the warnings with Consular officials in Libya or Egypt in advance of attacks that took place Monday in Benghazi, Libya and Cairo, Egypt, leaving the U.S. Ambassador to Libya and three other Americans dead, with eight others wounded, including some U.S. military personnel.
On one hand, the administration has spent two days tying the attacks to outrage over a film that represents the prophet Muhammad in an unflattering manner, and on the other hand, having to acknowledge that administration officials had advance warnings of possible attacks, and that the administration largely ignored those same warnings. Senior diplomatic sources are now saying that the U.S. State Department had credible information 48 hours before the attacks in Benghazi and Cairo, that American missions may be targeted, but no warnings were given to diplomats to go on high alert and "lockdown", under which movements of embassy personnel are severely restricted.
Was this reply helpful? (0) (0)
Note: Due to the depth of this discussion thread, no additional replies can be accepted for this post. If you have comments to make, please reply to the original post at the beginning of this thread.