Help me to never work another day in my life.

by DarkHawke - 5/31/10 11:22 PM

Relax, this is not a come-on for some MLM scheme or other. I just need help in figuring out what to do for a living and I have exactly NO idea where else to ask.

They say that if you do what you love you'll never work another day in your life. Sounds good to me, so what do I love? Computers, in a word. Loved the idea of them even before I was able to lay finger one on them, and since that time, I've never looked back. In fact, I've put myself into substantial levels of debt to get yet more computers and associated peripheral items, so while I wouldn't say I was obsessed, I'd say that sometimes I do let my passion for these fractious little digital beasts get the best of me from time to time. Thing is, I don't know how exactly that translates into gainful employment. My closest guess is the job I've had that I loved the most. During college, I helped out the lead network manager in a small computer lab on campus, part-time. Not necessarily the most ideal of jobs, 'cause even with limited hours, I would most times leave drained from all theshall we sayless than positive interactions with both students and in some cases instructors that used our facilities. But for the most part, I was immersed in just messing around with computers in innumerable ways, and I couldn't have dug that any more than I did.

Unfortunately, the job ended with my graduation. Despite my best efforts, I was unable to get a degree directly related to computers in any fashion. Which to some extent was fortunate, as I discovered one thing I really DON'T love to do with computers is program them, at least in the conventional sense. And post-graduation, the closest I've come to a computer-centric position was call-in tech support at a small (and now defunct) local software house. The software was fairly esoteric, so we didn't get a lot of calls, but then again I was poorly trained, so it was kind of a hard row to hoe anyway.

That job went away with the company, and since then I've been doing retail sales, which has largely hollowed out my soul. Being who I am, I have gravitated to and found some small solace in the computer/tech aspects of my jobs, but it ain't enough. Not NEAR enough.

So I ask you, fellow computer/tech enthusiasts, what do I do from here? I'm open to any and ALL suggestions (though I'll note that any having to do with having sex with myself are already covered). My best guess, as I said above, is some kind of network manager, but I haven't the slightest clue what that entails vis a vis education or certification. I'm mostly cool with the idea of going back to school for more specialized training. Hell, I've considered the whole ITT Tech thing if for no other reason than job-placement assistance. So if any of you have any ideas of where I should look or ask for more help on figuring this out, I'd be supremely grateful. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.