Although non-venomous, common green grass snakes can be extremely dangerous.
by jonah jones - 1/31/04 3:13 AM
A couple in Sweetwater, Texas had a lot of potted plants, and during a
winter cold spell, the wife was bringing a lot of them indoors to protect
them from a possible freeze.
It turned out that a little green garden grass snake was hidden in one of
the plants and when it had warmed up, it slithered out and the wife saw it
go under the sofa. She let out a very loud scream.
The husband, who was taking a shower, ran out into the living room naked to
see what the problem was.
She told him there was a snake under the sofa. He got down on the floor
on his hands and knees to look for it. About that time the family dog came
and cold nosed him on the rear. He thought the snake had bitten him and he
His wife thought he had a heart attack, so she called an ambulance. The
attendants rushed in and loaded him on the stretcher and started carrying
About that time the snake came out from under the sofa and one of the
Emergency Medical Technicians saw it and dropped his end of the stretcher.
That's when the man broke his leg and why he had to be hospitalized.
The wife still had the problem of the snake in the house, so she called on
a neighbor man. He volunteered to capture the snake. He armed himself with a
rolled-up newspaper and began poking under the couch. Soon he decided it was
gone and told the woman, who sat down on the sofa in relief.
But in relaxing, her hand dangled in between the cushion where she felt
the snake wriggling around. She screamed and fainted, the snake rushed back
under the sofa, and the neighbor man, seeing her laying there passed out
tried to use CPR to revive her.
The neighbor's wife, who had just returned from shopping at the grocery
store, saw her husband's mouth on the woman's mouth and slammed her
husband on the back of the head with a bag of canned goods, knocking him out
and cutting his scalp to a point where it needed stitches.
An ambulance was again called when it was determined that the injury
The noise woke the woman from her dead faint and she saw her neighbor
lying on the floor with his wife bending over him, so she assumed he had
been bitten by the snake. She went to the kitchen, brought back a small
bottle of whiskey, and began pouring it down the man's throat.
By now the police had arrived. They saw the unconscious man, smelled the
whiskey, and assumed that a drunken fight had occurred. They were about to
arrest them all, when the two women tried to explain how it all happened
over a little green snake.
The ambulance arrived and took away the neighbor and his sobbing wife.
Just then the little snake crawled out from under the couch. One of the
policemen drew his gun and fired at it. He missed the snake and hit the
leg of the end table that was on one side of the sofa. The table fell over
and the lamp on it shattered and as the bulb broke, it started a fire in the
Another policeman tried to beat out the flames and fell through the window
into the yard on top of the family dog. The startled dog jumped up and raced
out into the street, where an oncoming car swerved to avoid it and smashed
into the parked police car and set it on fire.
Meanwhile, the burning drapes had spread to the walls and the entire
house was blazing. Neighbors had called the fire department and the arriving
fire truck had started raising his ladder when they were halfway down the
street. The rising ladder tore out the overhead wires and pulled out the
electricity and disconnected telephones in a ten-square city block area.
Both men were discharged from the hospital. The house was rebuilt. The
police acquired a new car, and all was right with the world.
About a year later the original couple were watching TV and the weatherman
announced a cold snap for that night. The husband asked his wife if she
thought they should bring in their plants for the night.
She shot him.