Office & productivity software forum: Installing multiple instances of the same program

by: KuroRyuuD December 15, 2012 12:56 PM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Installing multiple instances of the same program

by KuroRyuuD - 12/15/12 12:56 PM

Hello, pleased to meet you CNet users!

Let's cut to the chase, shall we? So, i`m a part-time accountant and I i've just gotten my second client. However, the software that I use, i'm pretty sure you don`t know it, but it's called Tildes Jumis Mini, as a starter edition can only have 1 database per user and in this case it is used for my old client. Now that the second one has joined the fray, I need to create a new one and here's where the problems start - as I mentioned, this edition can only have 1 database. Going from logic, If I had two instances of the same program, each with a seperate database, it'd be brilliant.
I'll prematurely ask, Is there a way to install multiple instances of this program, if when i'm launching the setup for the second time, it does not let me install the program but only to re-install it, or fix it, in other words?
If you're wondering if this is possible, i'll tell you straight, it is! I've seen a computer using the many of the same Tildes Jumis Mini software and each having a different database attached to them. However at the time I did not think i'd ever need to know how the person achieved that, so I didn't ask and if I could - I would.

Now here's a bit more info you might be interested in, if you`re willing to help:
Here's a quick overview on the installation and how the program works, since you most likely won't even try to locate it and install it, I don't blame you.
So you download the installer and install the program, it let's you select which type of service you want it to provide you with - save the database on this computer. You select the directory where you want the program to be in and you also name you database however you wish. After this installation is complete, the system requires a reboot to complete the installation. As soon as the system starts up the software also installs the MSSQL server, where it stores the information that you add in your database. You add a few finishing touches and it's done. To start using the program you have to log into it and select a server where you want to store the data and also the database you want to work with. After you fill out the necessary info, you`re good to go. This software is what you could consider a "starter edition", so it doesn't have all the functions the full version does, where you can have any number of databases per user.

Anyway, so far i`ve tried different things:
* Tried creating a new database using the software, however due to it's limitations, something went wrong. When I try to access the newly created database, it says it cannot find the server, despite it being there in working order.
* Tried using a virtual machine, however it's far too taxing on my computer and there for it's a no go.
* Using another Windows User account doesn`t help either, it only offers to re-install the software.

I`ve also asked the software support, but so far they`ve completely ignored the post i`ve made. Also asked a very well versed programmer about this and he doesn`t know how to achieve this effect and the local programmer community hasn't been of help at all, either.

So, here I am, asking the question, how do I install multiple instances of the same program on one computer?

Many many thanks for your patience reading through the wall of text and i`m looking forward to your replies with possible solutions.

Also if this helps, the Setup file has, in it's description: "tst MFC Application"

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close