Windows 2000/NT forum: Have a Server 2003 question not sure where to post it

by: oneclick December 26, 2012 9:45 PM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Resolved question

Have a Server 2003 question not sure where to post it

by oneclick - 12/26/12 9:45 PM

Don't see a forum for Server 2003. So I posted here and hopefully some of the Moderators might take a shot a helping out on this one. If not Please tell me where I can re-post..XP? Thanx. With that said..

I have issues on server 2003 R2, SP2. Normal authentication, No AD. it just happened in the last day or so. Turned the monitor on for the server and it was asking why it had shut down unexpectedly, . I keyed in unknown and proceeded to logon. After Logon, I saw the green "recently updated" icon in the sys tray and thought that was odd, because Windows always tells itself it restarting for updates

I then noticed that the My Computer icon, Network Places icon and recycle icons are displayed with unknown file icons. Here are some other issues observed: When I right click the icons it sees them as folders, giving me only typical folder options. Can't open mmc.exe even from CLI. to see the event viewer to see what happened. I get a class not registered error. The All Programs won't display the programs list when I click on it. On a whim I tried installing malwarebytes, I get "regsvr32 failed with exit code 0x5" Research tells me "Access Denied" issues. I am logged in as admin. Administrator tools link doesn't work either.

I right click the desktop then select add short cut, just to browse the computer another way or create a shortcut... the MS wizard opens, I click browse, and my only option is make new folder or cancel, clicking make new folder does nothing, it doesn't browse. There are so many things that don't work I don't even know where to start with what things that don't work to help in a diagnosis, ugh!

I can install a program, for example Firefox from a flash drive, I select launch and get to the internet just fine. When I close it, I cannot run the program again because it never created a shortcut and I cannot browse the computer in anyway to find the .exe. Windows key+E, Win key +R doesn't work, right click the desktop and properties. I get explorer.exe created Exception_Access_Violation in Module SHDOCVW.dll, and other errors. I can't even browse from the task manager the machine freezes.

The odd part is all our Practice Management Applications are running fine, It only seems to be the OS side of the server.
A)can I run sfc /scan now on sever2003? And Should I run sfc? Will it affect any of our Applications installed?
B) Is it a windows update that may have caused this? If so how can I roll back? roll back to registry from say the 9th of Dec?
C) Raid Degraded?
Don't even know where to start.....and I'm gonna have to explain this in the morning ..any help...Thanx

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close

You are requesting a clarification of the question: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Submit Clarification Request Preview Cancel

Close

You are posting an answer to the question: Post Subject

Submit Answer Preview Cancel

Close
close

Click here to be notified via e-mail when someone submits an answer.

Would you like to resolve this question? close

Based on your response, it looks like this question has been answered.

Sorry, there was a problem resolving this question. Please try again.

Resolve Leave unresolved