Mac OS X forum: Windows to Mac: Why did you switch?

by: Lee Koo (ADMIN) December 16, 2011 4:05 PM PST

Like this

12 people like this thread

Staff pick

Windows to Mac: Why did you switch?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) ModeratorCNET staff - 12/16/11 4:05 PM

Note to members: this is a touchy subject and I would like to keep this discussion civil and productive. Please be nice and respectful of all opinions and experiences. If you cannot play nice, please don't participate at all. Thanks! -Lee

Question:

Windows to Mac: Why did you switch?

Hi everyone. I used a Windows OS since before Windows 95. I made the switch to Mac OS X in 2009. I started with an iMac (that I still own) and purchased a MacBook Pro in 2011. I also have several iOS devices, including an iPad. My experience with Mac OS X has been great. I confess that I do run Windows 7 in Boot Camp (and Parallels) because I have some programs/devices with no Mac OSX equivalent. My questions are mainly for those of you who switched from Windows to Mac (but I welcome all input). Why did you switch? What has been your level of satisfaction on a scale of 1 (low) to 5 (high). Do you use Boot Camp (or a virtualization program) and why? What have you done to make your Mac OSX experience more enjoyable (software, apps, hardware). Looking forward to your comments. Thanks.

- Submitted by Aaron J.

**** Below is a Thank you note from member Aaron J. and his contribution to the discussion ****

Hi Guys and Happy Holidays,

Thanks to all who responded. You really came through with some great information and viewpoints that also reaffirmed my decision to switch. As Lee asked, everyone played nice. A healthy exchange of information is always on message and of course there are no
wrong answers.

IMO the common thread (I took from your responses) or motivation to switch revolved around the need for a more reliable platform with better integration of the OS and software and fewer perceived problems (i.e. viruses, system freezes, BSOD etc). The advanced Mac hardware designs are an added bonus! Some of you use Boot Camp or have found other work-arounds to fill the Windows gap (Fusion or Parallels, Google Docs) and that's great. Your comments speak volumes about Steve Jobs concept that if a company controls all aspects related to design, software development, integration, manufacture and even deployment (Apple Stores) that the end result is a superior product that fosters a better customer experience and that's hard to argue against. On the other hand there are some whose experience with Mac OS X was not what they expected (or cannot justify a switch) and therefore will stay with a Windows platform and that's O.K. Life is about choices and what best meets our specific needs.

As I said there is a lot of great information to digest but I want to call your attention to a few posts in particular. High Desert Charlie (Function Doesn't Justify Cost) for his commentary that always keeps the ship from capsizing. PaxKahuna (Switch 2 Apple... Here's Why) and Waytron (Why Did You Switch To Mac?) for providing the professionals point of view to make us think before we leap. Nrkmann-2008 (Macs vs. PC TCO) for interjecting Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) as a way to justify buying an Apple product (or not) which although somewhat abstract is valid given the right circumstances. I know there are others worthy of mention so please read as many posts as you can.

My contribution to all of you is as follows:

• Mac's require maintenance just as PC's do but just not as often. I use CleanMyMac and Disk Warrior. Granted most of the functions performed by the products can be accomplished via Mac OS X Disk Utilities. However the programs mentioned
just make it easier. Lion OS X compatible.

• I also run Intego Internet Security Barrier X6 that includes a spam filter. Lion OS X compatible. While the number of Mac specific viruses and malware are very limited - they do exist. As the OS X platform becomes more popular the bad guys
will begin to target our beautiful machines. Also, running a Windows virtualization program (wherein you share Windows documents) opens your Mac to a cross-platform infection that may not harm your Mac, but could cause it to run slow.

• If you run Windows via Boot Camp (with IE, Adobe Flash, Outlook) that partition is vulnerable to Windows viruses, malware and spam. Therefore, I haveNorton Internet Security 2011 installed on my Boot Camp partition(s).

• Some of you are using Office for Mac and that's O.K. However, I encourage you to master iWorks. You can save an iWorks document in its Microsoft equivalent format if you need to send it to someone using a Windows PC. You can also export an
iWorks document to PDF if what you are sending does not require the recipient to have editing privileges.

In closing, I believe that Microsoft with its upcoming Windows 8 as a unified platform for all its future devices is an aggressive step in the right direction. IMO the success of Microsoft's Windows 8 (and future iterations) will be determined by how closely their
hardware and software partners are willing to work with them to share information and openly collaborate to build a superior product. I want Microsoft products to improve and continue to drive competition which in the long run is better for us all.

Conversely, Apple must continue to push the envelope as an innovator and offer products that justify the additional cost in a struggling economy so that their appeal is not lost to the average consumer. Additionally, seamless integration of Apple products across platforms/devices must continue to be a driving component of design and functionality. Finally, even with all the flash, razzle-dazzle, oohs and aah's associated with Apple products they must be practical and capable of going mainstream rather than devolving into a niche' market. That's all I have and Thanks again for participating!!

Together
Everyone
Achieves
More

Aaron J.

Note: This post was edited by its original author to add Aaron's thank you note to all contributors to his question on 12/20/2011 at 1:39 PM PT

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close