Mac OS X forum: Tiger book or not?

by: jennywren1420 April 23, 2007 9:40 PM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Tiger book or not?

by jennywren1420 - 4/23/07 9:40 PM

Some of you have been following the thread I began about a wonky disk for installing OS 10.4, Tiger. Well, here I am, a stranger in a strange land, both bewildered and exhilarated. That is to say, I have installed Tiger after having had a chat with a solemn young man named Andrew at the Apple Store in Soho (New York City). He did everything I could have wished for, including taking a good look at my cranky disk 1 on his computer. Like mrmacfixit, he assured me that I was not going to wreck my dear old G4 by trying to install OS X with it, that the error message could well be coming from an oversensitive copy of Norton Antivirus (and he advised me to turn it off during installation) and that he was convinced that if there was any problem after the installation, I could fix it with a repair utility. He was so positive (I mean that in the sense of "confident and upbeat," not "sure") that he made me feel that way, too. The next day I installed Tiger, and now I stand in awe of the creature I have taken to my (well, my computer's) bosom--and a little lost.

Which brings me to the question that is the title of this thread: With Leopard just beyond the horizon and likely to be the OS I'll be using on my next computer, is it worth the money to get the best book about Tiger that I can get? And which is that? I've perused the Pogue "missing manual" about Tiger ($30), as well as the astounding, muscle-building (1,000 pages in paperback) book by Ted Landau, author of my favorite Mac book to date, _Sad Macs, Bombs and Other Disasters._ Landau's Tiger book costs $50.

I know that there are others, but those two seem the most comprehensive, and each is comprehensible as well. Landau's also has loads of troubleshooting material along with the explanations about Tiger and its differences from OS 9. That's what makes his books so incredibly useful to me and numerous others. The thing is whether Leopard is likely to be different enough from Tiger to warrant buying still another book when I finally get it. If I spend $30 or $50 now on a Tiger book, am I likely to have thrown that money away?

Nobody that I know owns a crystal ball, so I don't expect foolproof answers. On the other hand, you all know much , much more than I do about OS X, so you may be able to give a guess or two.

Last, do I really need all that Pogue or Landau is offering in order to understand and become familiar with Tiger? I've done my share of troubleshooting with Landau for years and am very grateful for all I've learned. I would gladly buy his book on Tiger if I felt that its contents would be applicable to Leopard as well. If I can take a crash course with another, less expensive book, though (or one with more lasting applicability), I'd gladly know that and wait for Leopard and the Landau Leopard book that is likely to come in turn. I'd have no hesitation about buying that one.

Please, though, no suggestions about a "Tiger for Dummies" book unless it truly is the best Tiger book I can get without splurging for Pogue or Landau. For some reason, I have found the style in the "dummies" books I've looked at extremely irritating. I know they have been helpful to many people, and maybe it's just me being overly picky, but there it is.

Thank you all, in advance. I shall eagerly await your opinions and recommendations.

Jenny

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close