Computer help forum: VGA problems

by: Stevengp81 March 12, 2013 8:23 PM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Resolved question

VGA problems

by Stevengp81 - 3/12/13 8:23 PM

Ok. So this may take a while. I recently tried to update the VGA of a prebuilt system by gateway and had multiple hang ips. First it has an onboard Radeon HD 3200. So i bought another VGA from the same company. It was a Gigabyte HD 7850 by Radeon as well. I thought to gat the same company to make it easier. Though throughva weeks worth of trying to get the drivers to load and failing everytime i returned it. I then sought to try an Invidia VGA to see if it would work. I bought a GTX Geforce 260 used off of Ebay. The official drivers loaded easily and the adapter is working on windows at the appropriate screen resolution which is 1440 900. When i bring the video game i play currently (swtor), it plays the game fine. The problem is while it says it is at 1440 900 the game looks stretched. However the mormal windows screen resolution looks fine. I tried toggleing the in game resolution but it is already set to 1440 900. Changing it to any smaller results in the black bar around the screen as a filler, but the game within still looks stretched left to right. So how do i go about fixing this problem. Do i need to remove catalyst completely from the computer? Or is there a different problem? How do i resolve this issue. On the onboard VGA i am able to play games albeit very clunkily and thays on the lowest setting possible. I should also say though that with the onboard Vga it has no problem setting the screen resolution to the appropriate size.
On another note there is a AMD message when i boot on saying that the AMD driver doesnt support the current graphics card but the Nvidia symbol in the bottom loads as well. So both catalyst and nvidia are loading at startup. Please let me know what i can do.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close

You are requesting a clarification of the question: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Submit Clarification Request Preview Cancel

Close

You are posting an answer to the question: Post Subject

Submit Answer Preview Cancel

Close
close

Click here to be notified via e-mail when someone submits an answer.

Would you like to resolve this question? close

Based on your response, it looks like this question has been answered.

Sorry, there was a problem resolving this question. Please try again.

Resolve Leave unresolved